Sunday, June 9, 2019

Firewood It's A Cycle 6/9/2019

Good Morning,

I just sat down to write after eating breakfast with my sister's husband and Rene. We enjoyed a plate of apple stuffed French toast along with a cup of Door County Just Peachy Coffee. He has been staying with us while my sister is recovering from surgery at one of the local hospitals. They are from a town in Central Wisconsin and it might be awhile before they can go home. The poor guy has been stuck eating my cooking for three weeks. He never complains.



Yesterday I started the cycle of cutting and splitting the firewood for this coming fall and winter. Normally I do that while it is still winter. This last year I was laid up with my knee replacements and entrusting a chain saw and an ax to this Humpty Dumpty at that time would have been disastrous. One can't be off balance while handling a chain saw or swinging an ax.

Acts 28:2 New King James Version (NKJV)
And the natives[a] showed us unusual kindness; for they kindled a fire and made us all welcome, because of the rain that was falling and because of the cold.

Not being the brightest bulb in the package I have concluded that firewood is a cycle in life. In order to stay warm , you need find logs to cut. Then you need to cut the logs into usable lengths. Then it must be split if the logs are too thick. It makes for better burning and the wood dries out better if it is split. Then the wood must be stacked. Once it starts to get cold you need to take some of your neatly stacked wood into the house. Once you decide to experience a fire, you have to use some kindling and paper to start the fire. The smoke goes up and out the chimney that you cleaned in July. Then the wood you cut and split warms you and your loved ones to a toasty temperature. Come February you start the cutting process all over again.

What knowledge I gained from this chore is this. Your ax, and saw need to be sharp. The wood will warm you three times. Once when you cut it. The next time is when you stack it all and the third time is when you burn it. The first two times are the warmth your body gains with your "sweat equity". The third is the fruit of your labor. Most of all a warm fire is best when it is shared.

But most of all I see God's love in this repeated process. Each year God provides wood for me to cut. He gives me strength. He has provided an beautiful fireplace for us. Some how He always provides Rene and me, others to share our warm house with as well as when it is just the two of us and the dog who desire to just warm up.

Have a great day. Can you tell that I have my eyes set on the cool fall weather already?

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment