Thursday, October 5, 2017

When You Just Don't Want To Do Something. 10/5/2017

Good Morning,

This is going to be one long day that will last into the next morning. So I will cherish this cup of Door County Mocha Mint Coffee and my time with Rene and our dog Gibbs.



We all have had those times when we are asked to do something and just the thought of doing that task  makes us angry or sick to our stomach. We all have been asked to do something that we just don't like.

Two years ago while driving, I was pulled over by the local police. The police officer told me that the center brake light on  the hatch of our Jeep was burned out.  He asked for my drivers license and registration. I politely handed them over as well as my card for the right to carry a weapon in the State of Wisconsin. The officer asked me if I had a weapon on me or with me. I told him no, which was the truth. My hands were on the steering wheel where they were supposed to be. He asked me to turn the engine off and I did as I was asked. It was raining outside and he asked me to exit the Jeep and place my to hands on the hood of the Jeep. He patted me down and did not find a weapon. He then asked me if he could search the Jeep. I granted him permission to do so. No weapons were found. In the end, the officer thanked me for my cooperation and let me go without a ticket to comply. I asked him if I was going to receive a ticket and he said "No. You were totally cooperative and very polite. You told the truth and I believe someone that stood in the rain, was polite, and cooperated with all that was asked will take care of a burned out brake light." I told him I would be doing it the next day, thanked him for his service, and we both went on our way.

Now while I was standing in the rain, without an umbrella or a raincoat I wasn't really wanting to cooperate. I was much bigger than my police friend and about the time that I was really getting wet, the thought of spanking him crossed my mind. But a Bible verse ran though my head and I realized that I was not following what God would have me to do.

Romans 13:1-7English Standard Version (ESV)

Submission to the Authorities

13 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.
 
I repaired the brake light the next day. Two days later while exiting a Walmart I noticed a guy waving at me while I was backing out of my parking space from behind my Jeep. I stopped and got out. It was the same policeman who was now off duty. He recognized me and just wanted to chat. He said "I see the brake light is fixed." I laughed a little and then he said this. " I respect your right to bear arms and you did everything correctly and you were very polite. I am sorry it seemed like I was being a jerk, but I am just protecting myself. Two other people that I stopped that night lied to me about having a weapon on them." He then went on to say thanks for being a good sport about it. Have a nice weekend". We shook hands and we moved on.
 
It was at that moment when God spoke and said. I provided an officer and he made sure that you knew your Jeep was not in working order, which is not safe. I spoke to you and reminded you to show respect. You are safe and I used you to show this young man that not all people are liars.
 
Here's my point. We all have authorities over us and many times they ask us to do things we don't care to do. But we are to respect them, none the less and cooperate.
 
Food for thought!
 
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment