Thursday, October 26, 2017

Sweater Weather. Got Two? Share One 10/26/2017

Good Morning,

Once again I can smell the morning brew coming from the kitchen. Today's flavor is Sunrise In Door County. I am having mine black and super hot.



I have been waiting for the fall weather to hit this area for a long time. It is finally sweater weather for me. There is just something about having my upper body wrapped in a nice warm sweater. Rene says that she knows for sure she married and odd duck. It's funny how I find the strangest things bring comfort to me. When I look back in photos from my childhood and if the time of the year warranted it, the photo shows me wearing a sweater or a heavy flannel shirt.

Luke 3:10-11New King James Version (NKJV)
10 So the people asked him, saying, “What shall we do then?”
11 He answered and said to them, “He who has two tunics, let him give to him who has none; and he who has food, let him do likewise.”

One of my favorite sweaters was actually a hand me down given to me by my Aunt Betty. It belonged to my cousin Mike and he had outgrown it. Now, Aunt Betty always purchased quality items and it was no surprise that this sweater was still in good shape long after I out grew it myself. The grade school I went to was an old building with windows that let the cold weather in more than they kept it out. The windows would rattle in the wind and for a couple of years that sweater was worn just to survive school in the winter. Not to sound like the old guy who says we had to walk 5 miles to school in three feet of snow, but we honestly never called school closed for the cold. I guess we were tougher than the kids today. Ha!

So last night when I went outside to let the dog run around and to do a little retriever training I put on a sweater for the first time this year. Memories of other sweater days flooded my mind and I could not help but smile and watch as my breath swirled up into the cold night.

I will continue a tradition this year. The hospital that affords me a pay check has a clothing and toy drive at Christmas every year. I see some pretty neat toys being delivered to the local health department every year. But I will purchase a boys sweater and place it in the clothing bin along with a toy. I will never meet the boy who wears the sweater and enjoys the new toy. But I will have the satisfaction of knowing that he will experience the warmth of a heavy sweater. Maybe some day he will remember the warmth it brought and pass on to someone else a sweater at Christmas. It's funny what a little boy remembers as important and then what an old man recalls and then smiles.

Have a nice comfortable day! God bless.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment