Monday, October 23, 2017

Near The Cross 10/23/2017

Good Morning,

Peace and comfort to be yours today  in the name of Jesus Christ the Author and Finisher of our faith.
The lamp is lit and the Door County Autumn Spice Coffee rests at my side. It is time to write.



I woke up this morning well rested from a long sleep. The type of sleep that is not often afforded to me. One last day of vacation and then it is back to the grind tomorrow. It is the way that I woke up that is on my mind. I don't dream very often, but I woke up in the middle of a dream where I was having coffee with some old friends. One of those friends passed on to life in heaven a few years ago. We all used to work together and the dream was more like a reunion. I don't spend much time if any pondering dreams, but this one was just a nice one to have.

Galatians 6:14New International Version (NIV)
14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

But when I woke up I immediately had a song on my brain, one that is still there. It is an old hymn written by Frances Crosby "Near The Cross" just keeps playing over and over in my mind.

  1. Jesus, keep me near the cross,
    There a precious fountain—
    Free to all, a healing stream—
    Flows from Calv’ry’s mountain.
    • Refrain:
      In the cross, in the cross,
      Be my glory ever;
      Till my raptured soul shall find 
      Rest beyond the river.
  2. Near the cross, a trembling soul,
    Love and Mercy found me;
    There the bright and morning star
    Sheds its beams around me.
  3. Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
    Bring its scenes before me;
    Help me walk from day to day,
    With its shadows o’er me.
I am very fond of this hymn and it's message of Jesus and His ever nearness to us through the Holy Spirit. I am reminded by the beautiful words that there is a heaven and it awaits me some day. When I hunt ducks on a river I seem to be  more at peace there then in a swamp or lake. Some day I will reside beyond the river in heaven.  What a beautiful thought for the day.

Revelation 22:1-2New International Version (NIV)
22 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.
 
But until then I am reminded to stay close to Jesus and remember how He gave His life for our sins ,not to stray from the message of the cross and to walk worthy of that gift.
 
Keep a hymn in your heart and a smile on your face.
 
Marty
 

No comments:

Post a Comment