Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Little Things 10/29/2017

Good Morning!

Oh how I love cold mornings with the sun coming up and our dog sitting next to me. It's so quiet. I can hear my own thoughts for a change. The steam is rising from my thermos bottle full of Door County Maple Coffee. I am quite content. My breakfast was a blessing also. A cold biscuit and some apple slices. Our Springer Spaniel seemed to think the biscuit was great. I will be going into work later today and the thoughts of this peaceful morning will carry me through. Later tonight I will be dining on some chili that I have simmering in a crock pot. God is good.


 
Luke 16:10New Living Translation (NLT)
10 “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities
 
 
It's the little things that we forget to be true with, that sometimes causes us not to move forward. Jesus clearly points that out in Luke 16:10.  My wife is always one to remind herself and me of small details and choices that need to made which always need to be the correct choice. For instance, we very seldom do this much anymore except when traveling a long distance, but we have graced the drive up window of a few fast food emporiums in our day. Once in awhile after driving away, not checking the order before we drove on, we find to our own surprise that we were shorted on the food we purchased or the order was completely wrong. We have learned to check the order before we leave now. We have accepted that as "just the way it is". We did not return and get some poor overworked service representative in trouble.
 
Now on the other hand we one time received a bag that was filled with way more food than we paid for. I for one laughed and said to Rene that we were "finally paid back". She replied "turn around we just stole extra fries and burgers and some kid might have to pay this back at the end of the day. I am not a criminal and neither are you". I saw that look in her eye and I knew she was right so we went back and tried to pay the difference we owed. The manager just waved it off as "that happens all the time". ( That is another blog message".) Rene deposited the balance into a charity the food chain sponsors and we left with our consciences clear. The next day we were going down the road and I pulled into a drive through Coffee shop and when I handed my money through the window to pay I was told  that the people in front of us had just paid for our coffee. I believe God prompted those folks to an act of kindness. Rene however claims that it was a reward for being honest. I believe that debate will be settled on day in heaven.
 
In my job I have a lot of say so on what we purchase and who we purchase it from. Many, many dollars go through my office. Being faithful in the little things like my own personal purchases has awarded me the trust of my employer to decide what is best for the hospital. They trust my decisions and I am proud of that. I learned that honesty lesson one time from Rene when she said we just stole burgers and fries. I realize that not only her eyes are on me but also God's.
 
So when it says "free take one", don't take two. When there is a sign that says "honor pay" leave the money for the corn you just bagged up. Not every place allows for free refills, pay for the second one.
 
It's those little things!
 
Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment