Sunday, October 15, 2017

Politics And Kids Not A Good Mix 10/15/2017

Good Morning,

 It's time to hunt and my hot Door County Mocha Mint Coffee is going to need to keep me warm and awake this morning.



There is a whole lot that can get this guy worked up and hot under the collar, but what I witnessed yesterday had my blood pressure up on a level that was way too high!

I was shopping at a local food emporium and I would guess that the young boy I will be writing about would be about seven years old. He was wearing his Boy Scout shirt adorned with several ribbons or patches. He and his mom were manning a table along with I assume, his younger sister. They were selling the annual popcorn that helps support their organization.

We all know that the Boy Scouts Of America made a major announcement this week allowing girls into their program. I will not share my opinion on that as it's not the focus of my thoughts. Whether you are for or against the announcement is your opinion and your right.

I was coming out of the store when I heard two fellas berating the mom and the boy for the announcement of letting girls join the boys. Like I said everyone has the right to an opinion.

Let's be clear and fair. The Mom, the scout and the little girl did not make the decision. They were keeping a commitment to sell the popcorn. I am sure this little boy does not sit on the board of directors. The two men were being very direct and making a point as to what they thought and why they wouldn't purchase popcorn. This kid looked like a fawn in the headlights. He was subjected to adult politics and behavior that aren't for kids. His mother thanked the men for their opinion and they still carried on. I had to resist putting a boot in their backside and leaving a print that would last a few days. That would be another lesson the kids did not need to learn. As fate would have it I only had a few dollars of cash on me and the scouts don't take credit cards. I decided to give the boy what I had and told him to just throw it in the total amount collected. I apologized and said I would be back later, which I did and purchased some popcorn. That's another story for another time.

When I took out my wallet those two guys quieted,  but gave me the look of death. That didn't bother me at all. I did youth work and we made the kids behave, so I have lived through the death stare many times.  Lo and behold these two poor souls were in the parking lot when I went to my car and one asked me how I could "support a stupid organization". My reply was simple.  " I was making up for two men who decided to take their frustration out on a little boy and I would be happy to debate that stance all day long . They gave me a salute of foul names after they retreated a distance of two rows away. I guess I can look pretty cantankerous.

Here's the deal, keep your opinions and share them appropriately. No one has the right to verbally attack a little boy and his family like that. What those men did is not covered under any God given rights or I'm in my mind the right to free speech. There is a time and a place for that.

Ecclesiastes 10:1-3 As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor. The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Even as fools walk along the road, they lack sense and show everyone how stupid they are.

So as the world gets more and more politically charged, share your opinions if you must, but not in this way. That kid did nothing to deserve that treatment. Adults, know your audience.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment