Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Fireside Chat With Jesus 10/24/2017

Good Morning,

A new flavor embraces my mug this morning. The coffee of the day is Door County White Chocolate Cinnamon Dolce. It's a new flavor to me, but one I will be drinking again.



Many people like to sit outside and enjoy the warmth of a bonfire. You will find that some like to enjoy a cup of coffee or hot cider near the fire. Others like to roast marshmallows and appease their sweet tooth. But most of those hearty folks are just out there to enjoy the warmth of the fire and to be outside. I for one like a fire and I don't mind sharing it, but I really like it best when the embers are low and I can be there alone with my thoughts.  I am not antisocial at all, but sometimes it is nice to sit with just enough light to read and spend time in prayer.

So a different way for me to think about this is that I am not alone. Once I begin in prayer time and reading the Word of God I have invited Jesus to share my fire with me. So I am not alone, but the time spent with Him has been amazing and at times chilling to the bone. Other times the fire within my heart is hotter than the bonfire.
Dedication to spending time in the Word and then in prayer should always have an impact or a result. Sometimes it just causes me to pray longer or for those I would have forgotten. Peter needed a fireside chat with Jesus. Here we see that Jesus sought him out.

After His resurrection Jesus showed up on shore next to hot coals as the Apostles were fishing. He cooked them breakfast, but then spent time with Peter.  This Apostle had just denied knowing Jesus three times. He knew he blew it. But as Jesus taught the apostles earlier, He went to Peter who He had something against and went to restore the relationship one on one.

John 21:15-25English Standard Version (ESV)

Jesus and Peter

15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” 19 (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”

The time spent with Jesus had to be chilling to the bone and in the next moment heart warming. I think from time to time we all need to spend some alone time with out Lord. Whether it is near a bonfire or just on a park bench we all need that time of soul restoration.

Food for thought.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment