Thursday, August 10, 2017

Why I Cook 8/10/2017

Good Morning,

Up early once again and another page in my life's adventure will turn. But it will turn with prayer, Bible time and a big cup of Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee.



I love the outdoors and I am an avid hunter. I dabble in wood restoration, preach a little, and write babble each day. I believe in working hard for my money and that was in my genes. In all honesty I do not possess a skill that really does much in my mind. But I love to cook and I am fortunate that my wife doesn't like to cook or grocery shop. It pretty much leaves me to the kitchen and the meals. However Rene doesn't mind cleaning so when I am done cooking, she is always there to clean up. She does let me assist with it now and then. According to her I do not possess the gift of loading a dishwasher correctly.  So we make a good team.

1 Peter 4:10-11New International Version (NIV)
10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen

I believe that when I cook and make a meal that is worthy of guests or to give away to someone I am either showing appreciation for what they have done for me or I am meeting a need that God laid on my heart.

Our nephew Nick is gifting us by watching our house today and taking care of our dog Gibbs. So last night before going to bed I made sure that I cooked up a skillet full of Caribbean Jerk Stir Fry. You can't help but think about who you are cooking for during the process. We have had some very good times hunting and fishing together. So while in the kitchen last night, Nick's brother stopped by to say hi. What a blessing that was to see him, out of the clear blue. So while preparing Nick a meal for today I remembered them both in prayer. It seems that when I cook, I multi-task and accomplish good things at the stove and good things spiritually.

We all have gifts that we have been graced with, that can be used for good. But while gifting, can you take time to add some prayer? It seems to be the seasoning that adds spice to my cooking.

Think it through the next time you are canning pickles. How about praying for the person who will eat them, even when it just might only be you?

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment