Monday, August 28, 2017

Grilled Corn, Little Boys And The Gulf Coast 8/28/2017

Good Morning,

Love to all today. May your coffee be hot and your troubles be few. I am pouring myself a big cup of Door County Highlander Grog and now it is time to write.



Yesterday our church held it's annual picnic on the church grounds. It was combined with a classic car show. Now, what a picnic and a classic car show need, is a day without rain. My duty for the day was to work with the men's ministry team to roast corn on the cob. They are a well oiled machine and are very task oriented, They at "Git r Done" fellas. They are the best!!!

James 5:9English Standard Version (ESV)
Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door.

The morning greeted us with rain and there were prayers being lifted up, asking God to halt the rain and let the picnic go on. There seemed to me that there was a little too much whining going on about the weather or this or that. God came though and there was a reprieve from the rain. The precipitation slowed us down a little, but it all came together as God would expect it to. We weren't waist deep in water, waiting for a boat ride. We had much to be thankful for.

My highlight was a four year old boy who came to the picnic later in the day. I was talking to his parents when he boldly told me "I like corn with butter". It wasn't a minute later and this kid was having at it like a chipmunk on steroids. There was the biggest smile on that little guy and when I asked him if he would like another ear of corn, his reply was "yes please". Now many people enjoyed the picnic, but this one kid made it all worth it for me. That smile melted my heart.

To be honest with you, my mind was elsewhere yesterday. Over the years, I have accumulated friends who reside on the Gulf Coast, and especially in Texas. My heart was heavy with concern for them while they endure Hurricane Harvey. I took part in the usual banter that men do, but all the time we were there my mind wandered back to prayer for those impacted by this storm.

The smile provided by that little boy, reminded me what it was to be a kid again and a not have any worries. His day was focused on buttered corn and the fact that these guys were handing it out. Oh, to be that innocent again. His joy over corn took my mind off of my thoughts and it felt good. He allowed me to focus on what was at hand and I received great joy from that smile. He thanked me, but that buttery smile did it all.

Today I am back in prayer for those in a watery mess. I am waiting to hear what we can do to help. I am asking for your prayers for those who have lost a lot, or everything. I know those people appreciate the kind thoughts. Would you ask God to show you what you can do to help?

When you think of a particular small irritation that happens today, praise God that you aren't waist deep in water. Some things just aren't worth whining about.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment