Sunday, August 6, 2017

The House Was Alive With The Sound Of Children 8/6/2017

Good Morning,

I am way behind today, but I have a good excuse. I am filling my cup with Door County Cherry Crème Coffee and now I am ready to write. My prayers are that all of you can find peace in your souls today with the love of Jesus Christ.

Yesterday we had a visit from a lady and her family. We unofficially adopted this gal during our time as youth directors at church. Before her dad passed away he asked me to keep an eye on her and the rest of the family. They are all doing very well. He would be very proud of them.

This little and I do mean little gal arranged to visit with us while she was back in Wisconsin vacationing with her mom and her siblings. I was blessed to walk her down the aisle at her wedding a few years ago. She no longer is a teen, but now is the mother of two little girls, One is 16 months old and the other is four years old. They both are as cute as a bugs ear. They are very much alive and were willing to play with the dog, ride on the tractor, eat cookies, cheese and crackers, and then later pound down a serious Italian dinner.



The littlest one was so engrossed with the pasta and sauce that the only solution to her mess was an immediate bath after dinner. The four year old however had something on her mind. Her mother told me that she had something she wanted to ask me earlier in the day but was a little too shy to do so. The subject finally came to a close later last night when we sat by the fireplace after playing tag in the house. "Would you be my grandpa?" was the question. Rene looked at me and I looked at her. The answer didn't take much thought at all. I responded with "Yes I would be proud to have you call me grandpa".

1 Corinthians 9:19-23New International Version (NIV)
19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.

In life we all will wear many hats and fill many roles. Some roles are given to us when we least expect it, but it is very important that they be filled. That little one needed an answer. She put her heart out there with a need. It was a need that I can fill. Just like we told her mom many years ago. "Don't worry we will leave a light on, just come when you need to be here"

 It has been a long time since I did tractor rides with kids and let them drive. Rene made friends with the baby and boy oh boy they were both happy. Yes there was a pile of dishes to be done. The dog is still sleeping, Rene is still sleeping. I over slept. Those two kids exhausted us. But what a good sleep it was. The house still smells like oregano, and some dishes need to be put away. But I can close my eyes and hear the laughter from all of us last night. Who thought this old man could still run and play "catch the four year old". I really couldn't catch her, but I am proud to say that I am smarter than a four year old! The old house was alive again.

Here's the point before I ramble on too long. God asks us to wear those many hats and be to others what he calls us to do. Fulfilling one of those hat duties blesses others, but who really is the blessed one? You are!

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment