Saturday, August 26, 2017

Look Hard. No Hands 8/26/2017

Good Morning,

The weekend has started and it looks like it needs a little help with a big cup of Door County Mocha Mint Coffee. Very soon I will be pouring some of the fall flavors into my Thermos bottle and hunting will begin. Just a few days away.


I hear people express their faith and love for Jesus Christ quite often. They talk about their church and all the services or activities it offers. They talk about their Bible studies and their Gospel music. But, not often enough do I hear them speak about God calling them out in a challenge of faith, where they just let loose and followed Him into the "unknown". It seems as if these very content people are happy just living inside the comfort of the walls of faith they have built. Now their is nothing wrong with being content. But contentment can disguise itself as fear or laziness.

Philippians 4:13New King James Version (NKJV)
13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

As a boy (my Aunt will cringe when she reads this) I played youth football. Football practices were held in the evening and very often they would last until dark. Most of us would ride our bicycles home. Now, where the football field was located I had two choices for going home. One choice provided a flat sidewalk to travel all the way home. That trip was always uneventful and very boring. My second choice involved a big arced bridge. The trip up the bridge was tough, but the ride down the other side was very exciting. The wind blowing in my face, the ability to travel at a high speed, and keep up with some cars was just too much to turn down. (We didn't wear biking helmets back then.) My football helmet was on the handle bars. That breeze in my hair after a tough practice felt so nice. But for me, some of the excitement was to put my hands behind my head or above my head and drive down the 35th street bridge without any hands on the  handle bars. You should have seen the looks on the faces of those passing by me in their cars. I do believe that cell phones have removed some of the fun in lives. Cell phones back then would have had me in a detention home for the insane adolescents. It wasn't too smart but it is helping me make my point.

We often put such tight controls on our faith that we forget to ask God what He is doing and how we can join in? We don't want to take the restraints off and step out in faith. We miss out on faith adventures because we want to drive the bike down the boring road. Unlike the unforgiving pavement of the 35th street bridge we have a safety net in God. If we fall He is there. If we step out He leads us. If we have needs during our "no hands adventures" He supplies. When we say "I can't" He says "you can".

Imagine if Peter had turned down the call to change professions. Look at what He would have missed.

The Transfiguration Matthew 17:1-8

17 After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.
Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”
While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.” When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.

You might say. "Yes and Peter was martyred later". You are correct, he was. He also walked on water for a little bit, saw the sick healed, healed the sick, and caught a boat load of fish. He saw the resurrected Christ. I am sure if when you get to heaven and would be willing to ask him if he would do it again, his answer would be yes!!

So, do you have both hands tight on the handle bars or are you willing to let God direct your ride through life? Are you willing to get out of the pew and do the impossible, when He asks?

I mentioned to my wife that I had a new idea for bike riding.  I think her answer is no. I believe we can do it!!

 Look hard, this life of faith has no hands!

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment