Sunday, May 21, 2017

Pot Roast In The Oven 5/21/2017

Good Morning,

I can hear the Door County Inn Keepers Blend Coffee dripping into the carafe and I can smell the aroma up here in the den. Soon I will have a cup next to me and I will welcome this Sabbath with prayer and a little Gospel music to brighten this rainy and dreary morning.



Last night after returning from church we came home to the timer on the oven sounding off. The pot roast I had placed in a roasting pan was complete and from the smell in the house, you just knew that it was done perfectly. I had seasoned it with the same seasonings that my Dad had used for years and placed the roast, potatoes and some carrots in our trusty old roasting pan. That guy sure loved a good pot roast.  My lovely wife remarked that somehow a seasoned pot roast with potatoes and carrots just seemed to be a source of comfort, memories and in her mind, and stability in the world. I was reminded of my childhood when a pot roast was a big deal for the Sunday meal. The aroma took me back to days of a full family at the dinner table and the inevitable pile of dishes to clean up. Even the thought of dish pan hands seemed to be a fond recall of the past.

It's funny how certain things will trigger your mind into taking a trip down memory lane. Bible verses do the same thing for me. When I read certain verses they take me back and I can recall how they impacted me at a certain moment in time. One in particular changed my life forever and It might not mean much to some but it means the world to me. I first read this verse back in July of 1981. I read the verse, digested the content and took it literally. One of the darkest days of my life was illuminated and I never looked back.

Matthew 11:28-30New International Version (NIV)
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

To me, it's not surprising that just one passage spoken in the Word of God could have such an impact. You might have your own "special verse or passage", read it again today. Enjoy the memory, and pass it on. Pick up your old Bible and find another one or take a trip down memory lane. I took that trip this morning and it helped me recall the time when I was delivered from darkness into Light.

Hebrews 4:12New International Version (NIV)
12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

The Word received, is like that pot roast was to us last night. The aroma from time in the Word lingers in our hearts. It provides comfort and stability. It has the ability to change lives.

Go ahead and open it up. Have a great morning that will last forever.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment