Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Mother's Love 5/14/2017

Good Morning,

My day began about an hour ago when I heard the sound of geese flying overhead. I slept with the window open last night and now the room is a little crisp. We are still in Door County, but will be leaving for home after a late breakfast. We are staying in a place that has a full kitchen, so as I write I can hear and smell the Door County Coconut Cupcakes Coffee brewing from across the room. I am praying for safe travels today and for all the mothers out there. I am also praying for those who today are struggling because they miss their mother. There is no bond like that of a mother and her child.



My mother went on to be with the Lord a few years ago and I would be lying if I said that I do not miss her. I have a few items around our home that remind me of her as well as a few photos. I am not one who constructs shrines to the dead, but I can't help to think about her when I use or see those items. The items I have don't always bring to mind a picture of her, but they remind me of her love for me. We have a small comfort quilt in our living room that I use to cover up with in the winter. My mom made that one for Rene and I. When I look at it I am reminded of all the hours she put into making it. And when I use it to warm up, I am reminded why she made it and how good it is to know that in a strange way, mom is still taking care of me with something she made 20  years ago.

When I make spaghetti sauce, I am reminded of the day when she sat me down and taught me how to make it. She knew that I would be eating pasta for a long time. She took the time to pass on her recipe. The recipe and the quilt are a physical reminder of her love. My memories are another reminder of that bond between a mother and her child. I always thank God for her when I am wrapped in warmth or slurping down spaghetti.

Psalm 139:13-14New International Version (NIV)
13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well

Enough of my trip down memory lane. What I cherish most is the fact that while in her womb, a place of protection for a baby, God knew me and formed me, the same as He did for you. His Word tells us so. So today my prayer is for those mothers who are thinking about aborting their child. I am sixty years old and I still remember my mother's love for me. She made many sacrifices for all three of her kids. She is gone and I can still see her love for me. Ladies, protect your baby. Protect them and they will remember you long after you are gone. Don't rob them of knowing your love. Don't rob yourself of the chance to create those memories for your children.

Love to all. Happy Mothers Day

Marty

2 comments: