Saturday, May 13, 2017

Embracing The Day! Cherry Donuts 5/13/2017

Good Morning,

I woke up this morning after a night of sleep that was overdue. I went to bed early,  after watching a baseball game on television. Our local team won and soon there after I was asleep. This morning greeted me with cup of Door County German Chocolate Cake Coffee. Rene, her mom and I are staying in Door County for Mothers Day weekend. Our nephew was gracious enough to house sit and keep our overactive Springer Spaniel tired!

Rene's mom (Mother Rucks) will be turning ninety years old very soon and taking her for a get away to one of our favorite places was planned a few months ago. It will be a special weekend for them and me.

We decided yesterday that today we would tour the county on a guided trolley ride. Mother loves to take pictures and the tour has some scenic areas where they will stop and let us out to take some photos. Her camera will be just popping away! I for one will embrace this day with gusto.



Later I promised to take them for some fresh cherry donuts and antique shopping. I will bet money on there being one stop for ice cream and another for fudge samples. As I was praying last night, just before sleep took me to a coma, I could hear them talking and laughing together. I recounted my day of driving three and a half hours to get here, enduring countless little shops and having my picture taken like I was traveling with a band of paparazzi. But their laughter made the day all worth it. It was like music to my soul.

I have a couple of small gifts to give them tomorrow on Mothers Day, but what I really gave them was a weekend of time. Some of my buddies were chiding me last weekend about me going on this weekend with the ladies. One asked me to make sure that I was not wearing lace on my underwear! No I am not and I am secure in my manhood. But who was gifted? It really was me. I get to serve two ladies, who I love and partake in carrying luggage, taking packages to the car, chauffeuring two classic women, and then hearing them enjoy watching the Golden Girls together. I will be wearing a camouflage baseball cap just for manhood insurance.

Ecclesiastes 9:7-9English Standard Version (ESV)

Enjoy Life with the One You Love

Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do.
Let your garments be always white. Let not oil be lacking on your head.
Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, all the days of your vain life that he has given you under the sun, because that is your portion in life and in your toil at which you toil under the sun.

We never know how many more Mothers Days will be celebrated, but as long as the two of them are together and they can tolerate me asking why we are Christmas shopping in May, I will embrace these moments in time. It is a great way to say thank you for the hundreds of white shirts that have been ironed and the countless pecan pies that have graced my palette. It is the best way for me to say thank you to a woman who accepted me into her family and gave me the love of my life.

Consider this my Hallmark Moment of the day!  God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment