Saturday, May 27, 2017

Beattitudes, Always A Good Lesson 5/27/2017

Good Morning,

I saw sunshine coming in through the window so this time of writing and drinking my Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee has moved outside, where I can take in some fresh air and the dog can roam about. What a beautiful morning it is!


Matthew 5:1-12New International Version (NIV)

Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount

Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them.

The Beatitudes

He said:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

One of my former pastors always called this passage "Attitudes that out to be". I emboldened part of the passage in red. In these words we specifically see that Jesus "Began teaching the crowd". Obviously this is a life lesson that He specifically placed great importance on. I could probably write a message on this passage that will last for days as there is so much to take away from here.
 I will leave the long dissertation for another time. I want to focus in on verse eight today. "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God". What an amazing and wonderful promise.  We will look at this in two ways.

1. Those who have received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, upon death or the rapture whichever comes first for them will be ushered  into the presence  of God.

John 14:2-4New International Version (NIV)
My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”
 
Jesus creates in us through the forgiveness of sins, purchased on the cross a pure heart worthy of heaven.
 
2, I suggest that when we seek to live a life that strives to live in such a way that we desire a pure heart that flees from sin, we can experience God and see Him at work. It is much easier to see God in others. For instance I was talking with a co-worker who had a rough week for sure. I had been praying for her and hoping that her week would have a blessing in it. She came to my office yesterday and told me that her yard had a few cardinals at the bird feeder and she was so delighted. She saw cardinals and I saw God. I was also humbled to know that my prayer was answered, and blessed to hear the fruit of the prayer, because "who am I"? Nothing but a sinner saved by grace.
 
Verse eight reminds us to approach all that we do, whether is be work, play, family, leadership or ministry with a pure heart. It is totally evident in life when we aren't pure in heart. Our motives for anything we are doing are clouded, they go unblessed and we usually manufacture thoughts of justification to support the wrong path. We don't experience God and we certainly go through a period where we don't see Him.
 
It's your heart. Are your motives pure, are you free from sin. It's your life, don't you want to get a glimpse of God daily, just a glimpse here and now instead of waiting for the ultimate experience in heaven? it's much sweeter looking through a window than looking into a mirror filled with self.
 
Have a great weekend.
 
Marty
 
 




2 comments:

  1. It's a joy to see God at work and an even greater joy to join in. Thanks brother for your example.

    ReplyDelete