Saturday, May 20, 2017

A Cup Of Sunshine 5/20/2017

Good Morning,

My desk top is adorned with a hot cup of Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee and it sits on a plate that has a picture of me and our grandson on it. Now there's two mugshots!!!



My desk has been written about before and I feel the need to do it again. It doesn't possess any magical powers. I have called it a place of refuge in the past and a place to recharge my soul. The chair matches the desk and is solid oak without a pad, so I can tell you truthfully that it isn't the comfort of the chair that brings me to study and write each day. The picture is from many years ago. I just completed refinishing the old relic and the drawers were still under repair. I couldn't wait to move it in and fill it with my treasures.

You'll have to use your imagination a little bit today. At my desk are my main study books which includes a few Bibles. When I read them or even just look at them I am reminded of the countless hours I have spent here listening to God and learning from His word. I recall the times of direction and comfort that were doled out at this desk. To my left are trophies and ribbons that my dogs have won throughout the years. They remind me of their unconditional love and support they gave me daily. I am reminded of the many hunting excursions we ventured out on. In front of me, higher up on the wall are mounted ducks that found their way to the taxidermist after visiting the front of my shotgun. I am reminded of those fellas and women I have been blessed to hunt with. There is a small clock given to us as a wedding present 1000 years ago. It reminds me not to waste time. I also have photos of a few of the many mission trips I was able to partake in. They remind me of those who blessed me with their partnership in ministry and those I met while in foreign lands. I pray for all of them.  Then there are family photos of those I love, like the plate with the picture on it. I am reminded how God blessed me with family and I pray for them.

Philippians 1New International Version (NIV)
Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,
To all God’s holy people in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons[a]:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God

So this old desk, that was purchased on an antique shopping trip with my beloved wife Rene, also reminds me of the life God has given to me with her.

So many times I penned words delivered by the Holy Spirit and some of you have written back to say that you were blessed by my rambles I am reminded to pray for those who read these blogs.

So when I approach the desk to write or study, most of the time, the familiar old spot surrounded with memories becomes a cup of sunshine in my life, even on the dreariest of days. How does that happen? Well I combine God, His word, prayer, memories, great coffee and you. I will never meet some of you or most of you, but know this today. You have been loved from afar, through the power of the Holy Spirit and you were just prayed for.

Now there's a cup of sunshine. I am thankful for you!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment