Tuesday, June 28, 2016

When The Dresser Gets Emptied 6/28/2016

Good Morning,

Dear Friends, I pray that your day is blessed from above and that you will be friendly to someone today. I hope that your friendliness will be returned to you ten fold. I have filled my mug with some Door County Red Velvet Mocha Coffee to kick start my day.



I will let you in on a secret today. So I guess after this is read, it won't be a secret any longer. Not all that many years ago our daughter grew up and moved away from home. It was a bitter sweet day. She was expressing her need to be grown up, which was a proud day for us. But in all reality who really wants to see their kids grow up? The house was too quiet and it was hard for me to pass her room without feeling empty. The dresser stood there and it was empty. This really bothered me. I have a wooden box on top of my dresser where I keep some jewelry and small trinkets of things that I want to remember. There were many nights that I would find myself sitting on her old bed staring at her dresser, praying for her and remembering hearing her talking on the phone to friends for hours. So one night I went to my little box of memories and took out two plastic hair barrettes that were Kristy's when she was about three years old. I placed those two little treasures into one drawer. It made me feel better because it wasn't empty anymore. The hair fobs were like a piece of my heart was kept safe in that drawer.

Today a friend of mine will be leaving our place of work. This is one of those people who makes an impact on your life in a good way. She is heading to retirement. I haven't worked with her all that long but will miss her dearly. She is that type of person who gives of herself  and does not expect anything in return. I have tried to always be positive but cannot hold a candle to this lady who always sees light at the end of a tunnel. So once again I face a bitter sweet day. My friend has earned the right to take a rest and I am so very happy for her. Yet saying farewell will not be easy. Yesterday I took a small thank you gift that my friend gave to me recently and it made it to my box of little treasures. It isn't very often that you meet someone who works at bringing the best out of you, willing to teach an old dog new tricks and making work a place to look forward to. So yes there will be an emptiness today. I believe her work lesson that she taught me is this.

Luke 6:31New American Standard Bible (NASB)

31 Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.
When others teach you a valuable lesson, and then they need to move on, they leave the dresser full. It is never really empty. They filled your heart and it stays full.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment