Saturday, June 25, 2016

Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread 6/25/2016

Good Morning,

I found my way to the patio this morning, lit a large candle to chase off any mosquitoes and poured a large mug of Door County Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti Coffee and now I can write. This back area of our yard is like a little sanctuary for me. It is peaceful and early in the morning only the wildlife and trains are making any noise. It has been a long week with Rene's mom being hospitalized and for awhile it did not look good. Parise God, He answered our prayers and grandma is doing much better.



I am going to look at the Lord's prayer today and concentrate on one passage of that special gift.

Matthew 6:9-13New King James Version (NKJV)

In this manner, therefore, pray:
Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.[a

In this passage the disciples are given an example of the elements of prayer. Jesus was spending a lot of time in Matthew Chapter 6 on what would be good prayer and also the wrong way to pray. But today I want to concentrate on verse 11. Many scholars contend that the verse is meant to have us ask for food that nourishes the body and to be content with what is given to us that day. I do not disagree with them and I do believe we should be thankful and content with what is on our plates to eat each and every day.

I also believe that Jesus was teaching us to request a more important food.

Matthew 4:3-4New International Version (NIV)

The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’[a]

I believe that Jesus was teaching us to petition our Father In Heaven to grant us a daily, hourly or at the moment word from Him and that it is the only way to live.

I look forward to my morning cup of coffee and at noon I am always thinking about lunch, but do I put more emphasis on the coffee or lunch than on that time spent with God and Him giving me words to live by? I had to ask myself that question. I was ashamed to say that there are days when I dine more on what the refrigerator has to offer than on what God has to say.

I came to the conclusion this morning as God spoke to me over coffee, that my diet has to change. The Great Physician gave me a check up and told me through what I read and wrote today that my heart is not as healthy as it could be. So more time with God today and no rush to finish will be what's on the menu for me. How about you?

God Bless,

Marty

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment