Saturday, January 31, 2015

Help Me. I'Ve Fallen And Can't Get Up. 1/31/2015

Good Morning,

Saturday morning in this part of the world has arrived with the threat of a large snow storm for tonight. So as I sip on my cup of Door County Highlander Grog Coffee I am making mental notes in this vacant brain of mine. "Bring in the firewood this morning, gas up the snow blowers and wax the shovels" so I can be ready.

"Help me. I've fallen and can't get up" is a phrase that many of us have heard from our televisions as an advertisement for a safety device that people can wear and activate in an emergency, like a fall. Once activated the device calls for emergency responders to go and assist the person in need. This is nice for disabled or elderly people who live alone.

"I've fallen and can't get up" is a phrase that all too often we don't hear. This phrase out of pride is not said by the one who is depressed beyond belief and needs help. They are down and are going down further but are ashamed to say anything. These folks think that being depressed is being weak, and that they should be able to snap out of it. Yet through small signals theay are crying out for help. You won't see them as often. Their shades are pulled. They don't answer the phone. Many times drastic weight loss or gain can be noticed. Social media allows them to show little faces on their posts and if you look close their will be a frown or the words depressed, lonely, or confused.

Sometimes they tell you that they are angry with the world or just don't care anymore. All of these are sure signs that your friend or family member has fallen and is having trouble getting back up.

Hebrews 13:16     

Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Philippians 2:4        

Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Yesterday I was informed that outside of the hospital where I work and am managing a construction project that a van was next to the waste dumpster had people working to take all the metal out of the dumpster to put in and on top of their van to salvage for scrap money.

Now this is a conflict for me. That metal is sharp and going into that dumpster is dangerous. If they would get hurt it could be a tragedy and we could be held responsible even though they should not be there. Yet I knew that they were trying to eat basically. I went and asked them what they were up to.
 This very young couple was ashamed and kind of afraid. They explained that they were both recently unemployed and that they had kids to feed and that this metal was just going to be tossed anyway. I explained our position and they understood. The apologized and started putting the metal back into the dumpster very neatly. I could see from their hands that they were not used to this type of labor. This was new to them. I could tell from the looks on their faces that they had reached the end of their ropes. I asked what they did for a living and when they told me, I knew of some positions that they could apply for. I gave them the contact numbers and my business card. I said that I could not promise a job but that there was a pretty good chance that these contacts would pan out positively for them. I told them to call me and send their resume for me to look over and help if I could. When they left there were waves of goodbye and smiles on their faces. I am meeting them later today for lunch and to look at their job portfolios. Some how groceries will be in my Jeep. Now this is not to be boasting about my actions. God let me stumble through an encounter. But I learned a lesson. Actions speak louder than words.

We are to do more than lip service when we see or hear of someone in need. Encouraging words are great, but a visit, a small job offered, some new clothes, a pot of soup, some time helping search for a job, some freshly cut flowers, all given are a sign that you care. It might just be the rope that pulls someone out of despair and gets them back on their feet.

God bless,
Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment