Sunday, January 18, 2015

Christians, In Name Only 1/18/2015

Good Morning,

This morning started off with a big cup of Door County Pumpkin Spice Coffee. The cup is sitting next to me and is still steaming a little. 

I have the privilege of sharing a ride to church with a World War Two Veteran this morning. Our friend can no longer drive, but yet desires to be in church each Sunday. A system of ride sharing is being developed so he can get there. I get to go today and consider it quite and honor to pick up and deliver a man who's desire is to be in church no matter his age or circumstances.

I spoke with him yesterday and as we were arranging pick up times he told me that he loves Jesus and wants to worship Him where he has faithfully worshipped for over 30 years. That statement of love for Jesus tells it all.

Matthew 22:37-39        
And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself

Friends, I hear people say all the time that they love ice cream, or they love their spouse. Churches around the world are filled each Sunday with people who say that they are Christians. But not too often do I hear of their love for the Lord. I believe that they love the good feeling that attending church gives them. I believe that they love serving and the feeling it gives them.

But what is missing is an understanding of how much they are loved and that being loved and being in love requires two. The relationship has to go both ways.

Romans 5:8        
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

This man not only calls himself a Christian but is a Christian in his heart. He has a personal love relationship with His Savior and Lord.

My wife shares my last name. This started on the day we were married. She is my spouse and I love her. But what a farce it would be if she just took my last name and did not love me in return. By the way, she does love me.

1 John 4:16        
So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

So today's challenge is for all of us to examine our relationship with Jesus and look deep inside and ask, "do I love the Lord"? It only takes a few seconds to be honest with yourself. If there is anything that comes before the Lord on your list of loves you will know and your love list needs to change. Because if there is anything that comes first before God you really could be a Christian in name only.

The problem can be fixed by admitting the change that needs to take place, state your love for Him, resetting your priorities, and experience the love relationship that God intended to have with us.

Now open the Bible and read. It is so much easier to read and understand when you are in love with the Author. Page by page you will see God's love for you and you will desire more and more to love in return. No go ahead and say it out loud. "I love you Lord"! 

By the way. I love Jesus, the One who died for me.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment