Thursday, August 15, 2024

When The Clerk Makes The Difference Part One 8/15/2024

 Good Morning,

I just sat down with a hot cup of Door County Grasshopper Coffee and all is quiet in the house. 

1 Peter 4:10 ESV As each has been given a gift, use it to serve one another as a good stewards of God's varied grace. 

As far as shopping goes, I am pretty much a guy who leaves that up to his wife. Just recently I was in the position to obtain some service from a local store. I stopped in to make some hard copies of  photos we took from a trip we enjoyed in June. And to be honest, we were behind in that process and had to develop some photos from last Christmas. 

I settled in at the photo kiosk and a young clerk named Elizabeth stopped over and said  "do you need any help with the kiosk?" I didn't, and politely thanked her for her help. She went on to say, "If you need any help with this large order, here is how you can reach me". Again I thanked her and went about my project.

Thirty minutes later I was still at it and nearing completion. I was pretty proud of myself. I started in on having a photo printed to a coffee mug. This mug will be given as a gift. For the life of me I could not get that photo placed on the mug the way I wanted it. I made the call for Elizabeth who was in back packaging the first set of prints that I processed. She came out within a minute and I explained my plight. She sat down next to me and showed me how to make it work, and then asked me about the pictures she was packaging. That particular set was from a National Park out West. " I usually don't ask about  customers pictures, but these are so beautiful and I would like to know where you were when these were taken."? She explained that her wedding was coming up and they had not settled on a honeymoon destination, Mountains and hiking are things they both like to do. I told her where and when they were taken, where we stayed and how happy we were with our trip. In the end I thanked her and she thanked me. 

This was a short encounter with a staff member of the store and she represented them very well. In addition, she represented herself very well. She was neat in her appearance, greeted me with a smile and made eye contact. She knew her business and made me feel important as a customer. He politeness was above the bar and I went away from the experience knowing I will return with more photos and extend my business there. 

My point is this. If you are working, you not only represent your employer, you represent yourself as well. Work as if you needed to be hired again each day. Work in a way that makes others want your services again. I will take this further tomorrow, so watch for part two. 

God bless,

Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment