Thursday, April 1, 2021

It Wasn't The Nails 4/1/2021

 Good Morning,

A fire was necessary this morning as the weather reminded us that it's only April and in Wisconsin that doesn't actually mean we will have a heat wave.  So as the fire crackles and I sip on a hot cup of Door County Country Morning Blend Coffee it is time to write. 

John 3:16 For God so loved the world (me) that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever (me) believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 

I don't build much anymore, but when I do I always try to buy top grade building materials. I recall building a shed many years ago and I purchased a cheaper nail, thinking I was getting a bargain. Once we started construction it was totally obvious that the nails I purchased were not quality caliber. They would actually break at the nail head while driving them into the wood. The construction process had to stop because these nails wouldn't hold anything down or together. I went back to the supply depot and purchased some high quality nails and the last time I saw that shed, it was still standing and looked great after 30 years of wind, rain, and snow, as well as cold and hot temperatures. Everything held in place and it looks like that shed could last another 15 years or more.

1Peter 2:24 He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By His wounds you have been healed.

As I prepare my heart for this upcoming Easter celebration I am reminded that Roman guards nailed Jesus  to a cross on Friday. I am sure they used quality nails that would not break and would hold a body in place for hours of torture. As I think about the power it took to drive those nails into hands and feet of Jesus and the size of the hammer used, I can only imagine the pain. Being God in human form our Lord endured massive pain that day. He was fully capable of performing miracles while on the cross, and could have made those nails pop out. But he didn't. Were the nails set into the wood so securely that Jesus could not come down off of that cross? Was he afraid to come down and face the Roman soldiers? What held Him there? It wasn't the nails. It wasn't the guards. It wasn't fear. 

Love kept Him there. Jesus was there to suffer and die for our sins. The Love of God kept Him there. Love for you and me. Maybe today you don't feel all that loved, but I tell you to read this again. Love for you and me kept Him on that cross to save us. This gift of unselfish love that offers forgiveness of our sins and eternal life with our God in heaven and is why we call Friday, Good Friday.

You are loved. 

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment