Monday, April 12, 2021

When Your Glasses Fog Up 4/12/2021

 Good Morning,

The alarm clock sounded off right on time today and my feet hit the floor slowly and that is a fact. I just poured a hot cup of Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee and now it is time to write.

I wear glasses for my vision and have done so since my first year of high school. Obviously I find them to be a big help with my vision, but they can also be a pain at times. During this epidemic, with the need to wear masks in many places, I find that my glasses fog up just by breathing. Then there are the temperature changes that occur. Coming in from the cold and into a warm building fogs up the lenses so bad that the glasses either have to come off or you just wait it out as the glasses adjust to the change. This leaves you pretty much blinded to anything around you.

Psalm 139:23-24 Search me Lord and know my heart, try me, and know my thoughts. 24 And see if there is any wicked way in me. Lead me in the way, everlasting. 

It is a simple point I am trying to drive home today. May times we walk through life and know that our best friend, a family member, spouse, or ourselves are headed for a big mistake, or trouble. We put on our convenient "fogged lenses" and pretend we don't see or know what is going on. We blind ourselves to the fact that wrong is wrong, and right is right. We ignore the situation and at times make it worse by making excuses for certain behaviors or attitudes, we or others we love are exhibiting. We just ignore the possible consequences and walk in a mind fog that allows and compensates for wrong. 

Example. When we built our home many years ago we posted all the do not trespass signs that were required. We were on the construction site almost daily and kept it clean and orderly. The contractors observed our expectations. But in reality it was hard to lock up walls that were just framed in. In fact it was impossible. One late night we received a call that there had been an accident on our construction site and we were needed at the police station. When I arrived, there was a teenage boy sitting there. He had been on our building site and he and another teenager had started a fire with the lumber scraps in the basement. They had taken a construction ladder and used it as stairs to the basement. Once downstairs they proceeded to get high by sniffing the glue left behind by the plumber. The police were driving by and saw the light from the fire and had the boys come out of the basement. One of the boys fell from the ladder and broke his arm. The other one sat in front of me at the police station.

Both fathers arrived at the police station. One dad was apologetic and you could tell that junior was definitely in trouble. He said his boy would come by once our home was finished to do some free yard work to make up for the mess he caused. The boy also apologized.

 Dad two arrived. The injured boy was with mom at the hospital being tended to. This guy went ballistic on me for having and unsafe construction site. He wanted the name of the plumbing company and of course the name of the on my insurance company who held the coverage for the construction. Eventually we were sued. We lost the suit, The plumbing company was also sued and they paid out as well. Never once did he apologize for the actions of his son. He left the police station that night in a huff. The rest of us looked at each other in disbelief. He had his "foggy glasses" on. It was the rest of us at fault, not Junior who was trespassing. I wonder what would have happened if that fire had burned down our home?  It's hard to believe, but that same kid was arrested three years later when caught burglarizing homes and cars in the same neighborhood. 

Friends we need to keep our "foggy glasses" clean and act on what we see. Those lenses play mind games on us and we see things that really aren't factual. And sometimes we don't see ourselves as others see us. 

Have a great day. See straight.

Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment