Saturday, April 24, 2021

Precious Jewels 4/24/2021

 Good Morning.

I awoke to a day planned out to be able to spend some more quality time with our family. I am looking forward to a day filled with rain and storms according to the weather forecast. The rain will not impact our goal of spending as much time as we can, enjoying this respite God gave us.

Leviticus 19:34 You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as you love yourself. For I am the Lord your God.

Matthew 7:12 Whatever you would wish others would do unto you. You do unto them. 


Yesterday we toured around an area  that is decorated with beautiful waterfalls. The one we chose to experience up close and personal had quite a hike to the top and bottom with some areas along the way that made for some excellent photo stops. In order to get the whole family into a picture we needed the assistance of strangers. I would have opted out of being in the picture because I don't like asking for help from strangers. But it seems a common practice for people to ask others if they wouldn't mind using your camera and then taking a picture filled with your group. 

So our daughter asked a man who was with his family if he wouldn't mind taking a picture of us. In turn he asked if we would reciprocate the favor. Their family consisted of him, his wife, a two month old baby and a toddler around the age two. They were very friendly and my wife and daughter exchanged pleasantries with them. I said hello and thank you. Deep in my mind I was thinking about how two groups who did not know each other at all, could meet on a platform by a waterfall and be friendly, exchanging a favor or two. This I knew would make my blog.

All went well and then after the pictures were taken our  young friends and their toddler who I named Speedy were headed out on the trail. Now a railing system was in place to keep people from taking a ride on the falls that I would assume would be crippling if not fatal. More important to a two year old boy, those safety timbers represented something to climb on. I am sure that as a child I would have been experimenting myself as to see if I could reach the top.

So in nanoseconds Speedy approached the timber rails and proceeded his climb. Faster than a speeding locomotive the five adults, mom and dad and us three strangers were moving. No way was Speedy going to experience his first amusement ride going down the falls of no return. Dad who was about six foot two or three swooped in first  and snatched Speedy from the mistake that would never be forgotten. I didn't think our daughter could move that fast, but 'Mom Mode" kicked in and she would of had Speedy if Daddy Long Legs missed.

Just to be clear on this. Those young parents were not neglecting their child. You could just tell that they are a loving family and they loved those kids. Two year old boys were made to climb. It's how they are wired. Not that girls can't climb. But give a boy a chair and he will stand on it, instead of sitting down. 

Here's my thought for the day. In an instant, total strangers who were just being kind to one another united to stop an accident from happening. Their "Precious Jewel" became precious to all of us. At that moment names were not important, none of what makes us, US was important. We became a team of concerned strangers who started moving in the right direction in a cause for good. 

Friends it wasn't a cliff hanging experience. But it showed me that good still exists, People can unite for good and I saw the example of loving your neighbor from the photo op, the dash at the platform, and the final wave in the parking lot. 

Enjoy your Friday and love your neighbor.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment