Friday, April 2, 2021

Good Friday Thoughts 4/2/2021

 Good Morning,

The house was cold this morning and it didn't take long for the small fire burning in the hearth to warm us up. My prayer time stirred my soul and a cup of Door County Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Coffee topped off the morning.

Luke 23:39-43   39. Then one of the criminals, crucified with Him. blasphemed Him sayin, "If you are the Christ, save Yourself and us."

40. But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, "Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41. and we indeed, justly, for we receive the due reward for our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong."  Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

43. And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly. I say to you, today you will be with Me in paradise. 

So many things one could write about on Good Friday, so many memories, so many thoughts. As I sit and think about all that took place many years ago on a hill called Golgotha and how Jesus suffered and died for the sins of the world, one thing always stands out for me. 

Jesus was crucified that day with two other people. Both of the other men were criminals. Yet One who was perfect and without sin was also labeled as a criminal that day. These other two were guilty of crimes.

All three were in pain. They had that in common. One of the criminals chose to take some of his last time on Earth and taunt Jesus. The other criminal sought compassion. Jesus, despite His own agony chose to show compassion and love to the one who sought it. 

In this example we see a life lesson. Some of you are experiencing pain, sorrow and hurt right now. And I can only imagine the depths of your anguish. Jesus could have easily told them both to shut up and let Him die. Yet during His suffering He chose to show compassion. On His worst day on Earth He could still be approached. Today with all your suffering, are you approachable? Can you be counted on to show compassion and love to others? On this Good Friday can you be counted on to make a difference in the life of others?

I have one Easter memory that I like to recall from my boyhood. The spring was unusually warm and times were tough in our home. Our mother was suffering after a heart attack and her first surgery, as well as car accident injuries. My Dad usually took my sister and I on Good Friday to purchase an Easter Lily for Mom. This particular year, lily money was not available. I recall sitting in the back yard of our home wishing I could find a way to give my mother some flowers without stealing tulips in the neighborhood. I recall praying and whining to Jesus on Good Friday. "I know this is a day to remember that I am a bad kid. And you died for my sins. But I just need some flowers".  I went to church that day, never believing my prayers were heard nor important enough to be answered. I thought Jesus was just good for one thing. I was a bad kid and there was probably no hope for me anyway.

On Easter Sunday (I was up with the sun)  in that same back yard, the wild roses which normally flowered in May, were wide open and on the East end of the property. We had a wall of yellow. I was able to clip a few, place them in a jelly glass (you will know what I mean if you are my age) and give them to Mom for Easter. My sister and I stood there so proud of ourselves. She was little at the time and was my companion in most everything I did. I let her put the water in the glass. But of that family of four, only I knew Who opened the roses. Jesus showed a little brat like me some compassion. I began to believe that God might be real.

Have a great day.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment