Wednesday, March 11, 2020

When We Make God Small 3/11/2020

Good Morning,

I am convinced that mornings are the best time of the day. When I wake up with the alarm clock I still haven't screwed anything up. But later in the day when my pile of excuses, mistakes and wrong choices are plied up, I wish I could go back to the morning where the day hadn't been touched by me.
My coffee this morning is Door County Highlander Grog and it is time to write.

Joshua 24:14-15 English Standard Version (ESV)

Choose Whom You Will Serve

14 “Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lordchoose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

I can pile up a lot of different things that can slow down my day or weigh me down with anxiety or frustration. When I feel hopeless and want to just sit and not move I realize that I just made my problems and my choices bigger than God, which just can't be done. God cannot be contained, measured or be made incapable of delivering me from the anxiety that I choose to let stress me out.

When we make God a choice in our lives we make Him small in our minds and hearts. A small fake god is easy to overlook and make him a choice. When we make God a choice or an option He really becomes no option at all. Our desires and our fears have become our god , not the Creator of all things who cannot be contained and who can see the heart of each man. We stutter to justify our poor choices and often we look to others poor spiritual lives to make ourselves look better.

But God knows our hearts and the idols we place before Him. His wrath is worse than His bark and when he removes His hand from us, we wallow in our own choices.


So today, when you wake up be sure to make God the choice of your day and give Him the time He deserves. You will know when He decides to let you have the choices you chose over Him. Misery loves company but companions in misery are hard to find.

Marty

1 comment:

  1. I try to put away all that tries to grab me in the morning and make my time with Almighty God my first choice.

    ReplyDelete