Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Teenagers And Root Beer 3/24/2020

Good Morning,

I awoke and it is impossible for me to not smile at the two dogs who were dancing by the bed reminding me that I needed to get them outside and then fill their food dishes. Their food is the only thing on their minds. Not many people would prance and dance around for a bowl of chow, but these two hounds of ours put on a show daily. I just filled my mug with very hot Door County Cherry Creme Coffee and it is time to write.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. 


Photo Wikipedia

When I was a teenager one of the spots to hang out was the A&W Root Beer stand. Because of us living in a winter climate the drive in would close around the end of September and reopen sometime in May. But during the months of May through September you could pull up with your hot rod car and order some food and a large mug of root beer. A young lady would come out to your car and take your order and then use your car window to hang a tray on with your food.  There aren't many of these drive ins left anymore and I can only think of one that is near us and it is a dine in restaurant only. And if there is still the drive in atmosphere the car hops were replaced by an intercom. They might still deliver your food but it just isn't the same.

Why do I write about root beer and teenagers? We had a lot of harmless fun drinking the foamy treat and socializing. I never was shot at, while drinking root beer. I never had to worry about getting beat up just for being there. We talked without using our thumbs. Things were much different back then. I would love to be able to let the teens of today take a trip in time, back to easier days when working was fun and the good times were simple. A dollar was worth a dollar and cars lasted longer.

I think we owe it to spend time with our children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Show them the simple, but good times. The root beer stands might be few now but you can still buy root beer and you can host a volleyball and bonfire night for your kids and their friends. Use your imagination and help them unplug for awhile and be kids. It worked for you and it can work again.

Marty

3 comments:

  1. Marty, While speaking with a couple of guys who attend an early morning Bible study, Rodger mentioned that the present situation reminded him of the time when we, he and I, things were much slower and that maybe the younger folks should maybe relax and enjoy the slower pace of the present time. Most people at this time don't need to be anywhere in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Amen Amen. My blog was censored yesterday for some reason and did not reach anyone. Were you able to get it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I did get the blog but the link to site is on my home page.

    ReplyDelete