Monday, November 4, 2019

Robbing Grandma 11/4/2019

Good Morning,

This morning finds me leaning on my cup of Door County Black and Tan Coffee with a breakfast of apple slices and dried cherries. The house is warm and quiet.


This last weekend crime struck our family. My mother in law who is 92 years old was scammed into believing that one of her children was in trouble. The solution to the trouble was for her to send by express delivery a large sum of cash. Being the loving mother she is and not wise to the world, she fell for the scam. The next morning it clicked in that something didn't add up and she should notify one of her sons. Within minutes of him finding out, most of the family was able to spring into action and pursue help from the county sheriff and the express delivery company. But it was too late.

You have to know this lady. At 92 she still volunteers and visits the old age home. She bakes delicious goodies for all of us. She does work at local food pantry. At an age when she could sit back and have others wait on her she still gives of herself. And yet, not being wise to the evil in this world and wanting to help one of her children she was scammed and her trust in this world violated.

Now steps have been taken that this can't happen again and the initial shock is wearing off. I can't tell you how much I wished I could have intercepted that delivery of the money to the criminal who was waiting for it. I am not sure what would have happened. I was as angry as a wild boar protecting their young.

So as I prayed about this I saw a silver lining. Mother had also paid extra to have this delivered early. She sent it via a package and did not deliver it herself and then be placed in a position of personal danger. The package was delivered long before her vigilante son in law could do anything about it, thus maybe saving my bacon or the criminal. I was saved from my own ego and anger.

Romans 12:19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay" says the Lord.

While praying God spoke to me and reminded me that we are not to repay evil with evil, and that He has this situation. I was once again reminded just how much she loves this family and how far she will go to sacrifice for us.

Friends, protect your older family members and help them to be wise to this evil world. Protect the younger ones from thinking they know everything. It is evil out there and this could have been avoided.

God bless your day.

Marty

2 comments:

  1. Something similar happened to my friend PF. The caller hounded her with calls, saying that she needed to respond by calling a number, which she did. Last week she received a phone bill for over $2500. So sad.

    ReplyDelete