Friday, August 31, 2018

Aunty Betty 8/31/2018

Good Morning.
I hope you have time set aside to wake and have a cup of coffee before you go anywhere. I am starting my day with a cup of Door County Irish Creme Coffee.



I have an Aunt who lives in Florida. She lives alone in a nice home within a gated community. She is in her eighties. But she goes like the Energizer Bunny. She has been like that for as long as I can remember. As kids we were blessed to be able to live next door to her, my uncle and cousins. She will read this and want to smack me one but Florida is a long way from Wisconsin so I believe I am safe. She doesn't think we paid to much attention to what she was doing. But we did!  She held down a job and she and Uncle John raised my two cousins. Of course their door was always swinging open for us because we would check out both meals, our and theirs.
Well, Saturday was always cleaning day and her Kirby was humming very early. She had the whole house moving and cleaning!
If it was summer she would be planting her gardens. Flowers and vegetables. She does not like onions at all and some evil nephew loaded her garden with onions one year. (That one still cracks me up)
Many mornings she would take the city bus to work and come home on Fridays very late from her job. What I learned from her was that people should work.

She is also very generous with her money and has helped us all at one time or another. I also learned that people should share.

I also watched her fry a pound of bacon so my two year old daughter could feed the dog by throwing bacon from her high chair. This was amusing to a toddler and my Aunt. I also learned that people should laugh. I could tell you more stories but she would be on a plane here and really smack me one! But some of them are hilarious.

Just not long ago she finally retired from working. She really enjoyed being with people and helping others.

She takes a few weeks here and there to visit her daughter, and grand kids. Somehow she finds time to visit us also. Just the same as her parents did. They traveled long hours on the train to visit us on the holidays or important life time moments. I learned that family is important.

She is getting up there in age and I felt it was time to write and let you know about her. If you have an older relative pay the respect due to them. Take time to learn from them before it's too late. Enjoy them, recall the memories. Laugh. Aunty Betty talks to me about the long hours I work. I wonder where I learned that one?

 Leviticus 19:32
New King James Version (NKJV)
32 ‘You shall rise before the gray headed and honor the presence of an old man or woman, and fear your God: I am the Lord. 

1 Peter 5:5    
Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”

Have a wonderful Friday.
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment