Sunday, August 5, 2018

PRAYING It Forward 8/5/2018

Good Morning,

I am glad to be here. For some reason there is no place that I'd rather be than right here, at my desk, drinking a big mug of Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee and writing to all of you.



You've heard the expression "paying it forward". This is where someone ahead of you at place of service pays your bill for you. When you come to pay, let's say for a cup of coffee, the barista tells you that it has already been paid for. Usually the person who paid your bill is long gone and you can't thank them. It is a "random act of kindness"

Prayer for instance can and should be that way also. I want to take some time to discuss "PRAYING It Forward." Last night after our evening church service I asked for anyone who wanted to be prayed for to come and meet after the service. A few troubled souls came up front and  we prayed together. I committed to pray for the group twice a day or more for the next week. I asked that they do the same.  This group knows they will be prayed for and that's just fine. 

Romans 8:26 New Living Translation (NLT)
26 And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.

But here is what happened. During my prayer time this morning I was reminded that in my own weakness, I should ask the Holy Spirit to teach me to pray and lead me in prayer. Not only did I pray for this group, but for several others that were not a part of the group. The Holy Spirit opened my memory and added a few folks. I prayed for people who will never know they were prayed for.

On our own, we struggle even to cry out to God for help. So, like the disciples of Jesus, we have to ask, “Lord, teach us to prayLuke 11:1. Thankfully, God has given us His Holy Spirit as a Helper who “will teach you all thingsJohn 14:26. And when we don’t know how we should pray, “the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

So today, slow down your prayer time and ask the Holy Spirit to show you those who He would have you pray for. If you do not know what to pray about for them, just say so. " Lord this person was laid on my heart and I want you to know I care about them." The Holy Spirit will intercede and finish the prayer for you in heaven.

Right now as I prayerfully write, a lady has come to mind and I know she is hurting. I just added her to my group of the week. I believe this was prompted by submitting my will to the Holy Spirit for instructions.

It makes you wonder if  your own name was just added to someone's prayer list.

Pray it forward friends and have a great day!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment