Wednesday, August 8, 2018

The Lost Keys Return 8/8/2018

Good Morning,

The night just turned to dawn and I anticipate my pot of Door County Highlander Grog Coffee to be done brewing just before I finish writing today.

 


Last night I received a phone call from our nephew. He is my brother's oldest son and my close hunting companion. I wasn't able to answer the call and had to listen to the voice mail message he left on my phone.

Matthew 6:19-21 English Standard Version (ESV)

Lay Up Treasures in Heaven

19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust[destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

A couple years ago our nephew was watching our house and taking care of our dog while we vacationed in Florida for a week. It was one cold and snowy December and the weather wasn't all that great in Florida either. Our visit with family was nice but as everyone knows "there is no place like home". We arrived home and our dog and nephew met us outside. There were piles of snow everywhere and I mean everywhere. Then our house sitter told us that he somehow had misplaced the keys to our truck. You could tell that he felt bad and I am sure he went crazy looking for them. It really wasn't that big of a deal, because we had two more sets of keys. I remember telling him that I thought we would find them in one of the snow banks in the spring.

Spring came, the snow melted and the keys were never found. Now and then while traveling I give him a loving jab and tell him not to lose the keys.

Now for his message last night.  He explained that while detailing his truck, tucked far under the seat, my keys were found. The plan is to return them Saturday night.  When I called him back I was laughing and thought that the whole thing was funny. I remember telling him two years ago that "they will pop up somewhere, someday."

The whole thing caused me to think about just how unimportant things like missing keys are. What's important is Rene and I are still here to laugh with our nephew. He still calls on us and makes us feel important in his life. He doesn't mind stopping by to share a dinner with us and sends me pictures of the work he does. Keys can be replaced but family cannot. The difference our family members have made in our lives is truly a treasure. The keys to an old Ford are not.

I believe God enabled him to find those keys just to give me something to ponder and then to write about today. It was a good lesson for the heart.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment