Sunday, September 4, 2016

Sunday Morning Pancakes and Prayer 9/4/2016

Good Morning,

My day began  strangely with a ring of the doorbell. It was still a little dark out but I was already up and about. It was one of our neighbors who I don't know very well but I see her walking her dog every morning. Today was the same for her except that her dog was not with her. She had an empty leash and looked a little distraught. She apologized for ringing so early but that her dog had gotten off of the leash and chased a rabbit that was in our yard. She was sure that her little rascal was in our yard but was now confused and could not find his way back to her. She was asking permission to chase down her dog.  (Obviously not a well trained hunting dog) but long story short, we found the little lap dog with our Springer Spaniel Gibbs and all was well. While walking back to the house she said "Thank you. Do you know that I have to smell your coffee every morning when I walk by? It must come out of your stove vent and I have wanted a cup on cold mornings" I do brew the coffee close to the exhaust vent and have noticed the aroma outside a time or two myself. "I love walking by and have thought about asking you where you get your coffee". I said "Have a seat here at the picnic table and we will have some Door County Raspberry Butter Crunch Coffee".  I broke out the mugs and had my first surprise coffee visit. The two dogs played around and we talked about coffee. Be careful what you pray for! I have been wishing for coffee companions.



On Sunday mornings whenever possible Rene and I will usually have a better breakfast than normal. We celebrate the Lord's day with a treat that takes a little more time. Today it is pancakes and sausages. I found a sketch that looks just like what we will be having. We use an antique syrup dispenser bottle found in restaurants back in the 60's. We eat off of antiques plates and us two old antiques have prayer and talk about what will happen the rest of the day. The pace is slower and is much more enjoyable than the quick bowl of oatmeal I usually eat during the week. The prayer time might be a little strange to some though. We keep a list of prayer requests and concerns and review it at the table. We write down the answers to prayer and add new requests to the list. Some requests have been on that list for years and we wait patiently for an answer from God.

Hebrews 4:9-11New King James Version (NKJV)
There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

It helps us to keep Sunday in perspective and it refreshes our souls to eat breakfast with God.


Who did you eat with today?

This is a good lesson to instill in the kids. I wish we had started this with our daughter when she was at home. We discussed last week how we don't do this when we have guests and are praying about whether or not to include quests in the prayer time. We always pray before a meal when there are guests, but some of these requests are personal in nature. So to include or not include?  We await that answer to prayer.

Have a great day!  

Marty

PS: Try adding butter to your syrup and heating it together before pouring it on the pancakes. This is much better that a glob of butter on hot pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment