Saturday, September 17, 2016

Heroin, Heartbreak And You 9/17/2016

Good Morning,

I started today with a cup of Door County Red Velvet Mocha Coffee and prayer. Prayer is always a great way to start the day. I am outside in our yard, it is cool and damp. I declined hunting today which hardly ever happens but I have plenty of that coming up.

Last night I made a visit to one of the local county jails. I went to visit a young friend who resides there for now. Crime was the reason this young person is behind bars. But the true culprit who has a hold on this life is the drug heroin. This young lady was a member of our youth group way back when I was still doing youth work. She is I'm her mid twenties now. We lost her at about 17 years of age to the world. Recently she had been missing for months and I truly believe our prayers were answered for her to be found when she was arrested.



My motto is this, "Once a member of the youth group, always a member". So I went to visit her and she was quite surprised to see me. And then she said. "I really am not surprised to see you, although this is very hard and I am ashamed, I am not surprised". The visitation coordinator let our visit run longer than usual, (another answer to prayer). We talked about Jesus, drugs, her kids, a shopping trip we did together in youth group, and hope. I asked her if anyone told her that they loved her today and she replied "no". I told her that Rene and I did and that if she would allow me to come back I would. I will be going back.

This young lady is a shell now, her eyes are distant and she has little trust in anything or anyone. We started with the basics of the love of Jesus and I left her with Scripture to read. We prayed together and I left.

Isaiah 55:10-13New International Version (NIV)

10 As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

12 You will go out in joy
    and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
    will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
    will clap their hands.
13 Instead of the thorn bush will grow the juniper,
    and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the Lord’s renown,
    for an everlasting sign,
    that will endure forever.”

But I left a piece of my heart in that jail. I now can only imagine the heartbreak, her parents, children, and siblings are going through. I feel like that empty shell myself today. But I know she has decisions to make and healing is one of those. It's times like these that I too have to go back to basics. Faith is the key component to keeping the ship sailing straight now. I have faith, but I am weak like most. My prayer journal is my visual chart of what is going on in this case and what needs to be done. I am old and need visual aids now. This works for me.

1. Love my neighbor. Done
2. Rely on the Holy Spirit to work where we can't. Done
3. Leave someone with God's Word and know that it is true and will accomplish what it God desires it to. Done
4. Pray, pray, and pray again. Not compete yet, Must be daily.
5. Then continue to do what I can to help. Started, but incomplete.

Drugs have destroyed many families and it seems this heroin thing is really out of control. You might know someone who is struggling with this, or you know a family that is torn apart by situations like this. Believe me, they are hurting more than anyone else can imagine. If you know about someone in this battle it is because God wanted you to know. If He wanted you to know, it is because you are to act. It might be that he just wants you to pray, or send a meal to a family in strife. But if you know about it, God wanted you to know. Let's see how big your heart is.

This plan God laid out for me might be different than the one He lays out for you. But it is a simple place to start.


So start!

Marty




No comments:

Post a Comment