Monday, September 5, 2016

Apple Pie And The Harvest 9/5/2016

Good Morning,

This day is starting out slow and I have to say that I like it. In America this is a three day holiday weekend in which we reflect on hard work and take a day to celebrate. Seems like it is a little contradictory to me. But I am enjoying the time away from work and started this day with prayer and a cup of Door County Autumn Spice Coffee.



Yesterday I picked a small basket of apples from our trees. They were red and juicy. This year the apple crop seems to be better than the last few years. I was going to use the apples for our lunches this week but decided to be less lazy and make up an apple pie for Rene. My gal is diabetic and has been for many, many years. She takes great care of herself and does very well. So one sugar free apple pie was soon in the oven. She never makes us fuss when we go out to eat or places where she can't control what is served. For instance, when we attend weddings she just passes her piece of wedding cake over to me. If there is something on my plate that she can eat and is good for her it comes off of my plate discreetly and ends up on hers. That's how we roll.

So just before bed time, the pie was done baking. Now in the title I spoke of a harvest. It was not the apple crop that I was speaking about as a harvest. Rene saw that hot pie and I harvested a huge smile from her. She told me she would be home for dessert for sure. Her dessert will start before our goose fajitas.

I want to challenge all of us today to go about performing sacrificial tasks and see how many smiles you can put into your harvest basket.  Opening doors, please and thank you, pouring the coffee for your spouse are good ways to start. Cut some flowers and take them to a neighbor. Who knows? The possibilities are endless here. Do not forget to count your own smiles.

Always put a smile on your face because it’s a very powerful weapon. I’m not talking about a cheesy fake one. I’m talking about a genuine smile of happiness. Instead of putting on a frown when in hard times which will only make you frustrated and feel worse, turn that frown upside down. Give God thanks and always smile, which shows strength. Bless someone’s life today by just giving them a smile and that alone can indeed uplift them.  


What does the Bible say?
1. Proverbs 15:30 A cheerful look brings joy to the heart; good news makes for good health.
2. Proverbs 17:22 A joyful heart is good medicine, but depression drains one’s strength.
3. Proverbs 15:13-15 A glad heart makes a happy facea broken heart crushes the spirit. A wise person is hungry for knowledge, while the fool feeds on trash. For the despondent, every day brings trouble; for the happy heart, life is a continual feast.

I just prayed for those who will read this today. Are you smiling?

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment