Friday, September 16, 2016

Laughter, Forever Young 9/16/2016

Good Morning,

The old pot is perking up some Door County Maple Coffee today. I was going to wait for this weekend to brew some, but I gave in to myself.



The one thing I have noticed in our home is that Rene still laughs the same way she did when we were much younger. It's that laughter that I truly believe keeps her loving funny commercials with little kids or dogs as the main characters in the advertisements. She laughs and I smile. It is one of the sounds that I would miss if I lost my hearing.

I think healthy laughter can be a common ground that can be used for emotional healing or stress. Now I don't believe it is appropriate to laugh at someone unless they are laughing too. But a good clean joke that causes a few folks to chuckle is more than appropriate. Often times of laughter are frowned upon in some instances and that is a good thing. Some times are just meant to be somber.

But I do recall going out for a bite to eat with a few of my cousins during the wake for our grandfather many years ago. We were to return to the funeral home for the service a little later.  We were all kids and were sitting in a diner away from the wake. It was definitely not a good day for us, but as kids will do we were getting silly in the restaurant and someone and it might have been me laughed so hard that a Coke came right out of their nose. Well, we all cracked up. But for a few minutes it made a bad day a little more bearable. No harm, no foul.

I walk a little at night and on a cool summer evening I can hear kids playing and laughing. It does my soul good to hear the laughter. Don't you think the world would stay a lot younger and be less crabby if we all could enjoy a good, proper laugh? I sure do believe that at times "laughter is the best medicine".

So today, listen and laugh if you can. Don't be so touchy that one of your pratfalls might be funny. Laugh at yourself. My wife does and her laugh still sounds young.

Laughter is a beautiful gift from God. It can be medicine for the soul. If you are in no laughing mood and life has you down, we tend to shut ourselves in. We should do just the opposite. We need to get out there and experience a day and a laugh that might come our way.

 Proverbs 17:22 A cheerful heart is a good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.
 Proverbs 15:13 A joyful heart makes a cheerful face, but with a heartache comes depression.
 Proverbs 15:15 For the despondent, every day brings trouble; for the happy heart, life is a continual  feast.

Get out there and if you can, go ahead and make others laugh. it just might save a life.

God bless,

Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment