Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Compassion And The Grocery Cart 9/13/2016

Good Morning,

Nothing like waking up to the sound of Door County Raspberry Crunch Coffee perking away in the kitchen. This has the beginning of a great day.

Yesterday I had to stop and do a little grocery shopping at the local food emporium. As luck would have it I ran into a lady I recalled seeing in the store a few years ago. I don't know how I remembered her but I did. I believe it was what I saw her do that helped me to recall her. As before there was a young lady shopping with two little kids. Both kids were acting up a little and you could tell that the young woman was at the end of her rope.



Along comes our other lady who is about 65 years old and she sees the situation and offers to hold the baby and push the other little guy in her cart and assist the mom with her shopping. I have witnessed her doing this before. About 10 other people had passed the young mom without asking if they could help. I actually was thinking about offering some type of help but our hero beat me to it. I doubt the lady would have accepted help form a strange man.  What I saw was compassion at it's best. It wasn't asked for , yet it was offered. The young lady happily accepted the help and as I was leaving the store I saw the family and our hero loading groceries into the car.

We all have been in the situation where we say to someone, "let me know if you need anything". We usually never hear from the person the statement was offered to so we really don't need to show compassion and help. But real compassion is the type that is gut wrenching. For instance, Someone dying on a cross for others. It was never asked for by anyone who benefits from it but it was done anyway.

True compassion is seeing a need and going ahead without anything stopping you from helping.

Luke 10:25-37New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.”
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

If we are walking with God's eyes we will see those needing help and we will assist without being asked. This lady had God eyes.

Have a great day! Go shopping.

Marty

1 comment:

  1. The Holy Spirt doing wonders in everyday life. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete