Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Running And Being Tired Is A Gift 9/20/16

Good Morning,

I am traveling this week and a coffee maker is available where I am staying. It was a good idea to bring some Door County Highlander Grog with me. The drive from last night has me just a little tired today. This hot cup of coffee should have me awake soon enough.



Not too long ago I was reading about a young boy who is stricken with Muscular Dystrophy. He lives life from a wheel chair. During a conversation with his mother he made this very profound statement.
"I wish I knew what it was like to be tired from running".

I spend a lot of time walking through the hospital where I work. We take pride in greeting each person we encounter. Those that I know a little better might get this greeting. "Good morning, how are you?" Very often the reply comes back with a sigh and these words. "Very Tired".  My hunting buddies will often state how tired they are from getting up in the middle of the night to chase waterfowl. I am also known to complain about being tired after having a good time walking through a swamp so my freezer has a duck or two in it.

That statement from the little boy struck me to the core. I said a prayer for him and thought about days of old when I ran just playing a game of tag. The little guy just wants to be tired from running. I think many of us take being tired for granted. We work hard or play hard and we sigh because it tired us out. We forget that there are those who might not ever be able to do what we did. We complain about a gift given to us that others might not experience.

I think we need to try smiling when we say we are tired from performing activities that  tire us out. We need to see that weariness as a gift that others wish they had. We need to be thankful every day for a day that has not confined us to a wheel chair. I for one look forward to heaven some day and seeing those I have known crippled with disease running free and hard. Even then they won't be tired. But they will know what it is like to run! I know that God will keep that promise.

Isaiah 40:28-31New International Version (NIV)
28 Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.

Enjoy all you are able to do today!

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment