Saturday, June 6, 2015

Summer Bratwursts 6/6/2015

Good Morning,

The word contentment describes me this morning. With a full cup of Door County Cherry Crème Coffee next to me and our dog sleeping on my feet contentment can be the only word to use.

I have plans to meet some good buddies at the shooting range today to hone our shot gun skills on some clay targets. We like to try and stay sharp for duck hunting season which is only 4 months away, but who is counting????

I would like to talk about bratwursts this morning. For those of you who do not know what a bratwurst is////

A bratwurst (German: [ˈbʁaːtvʊɐ̯st] ( listen)), also known as a brat in American English, is a sausage usually composed of veal, pork or beef. The name is derived from Old High German Brätwurst, from brät-, which is finely chopped meat and Wurst, or sausage.

Grilling bratwurst or as they say just a little North of us "having a brat fry" is a summertime tradition in these parts. I for one like mine served with a little spicy mustard and some sauerkraut on top.
The "brats" need to be grilled enough to be done, but can accidentally be overcooked causing the juices in them to overheat and burst the sausage. The temperature rises too fast causing a brat explosion, often causing a grease fire of immense heat, which then has you eating a dried out meal. This is usually accomplished when the fry master is a rookie or is in too much of a hurry. Good things always take time. Patience is the key to not having a blowup.

People are like bratwursts. They can get to an internal boiling point in a situation so quick and are ready to blow up because they don't take time to see another persons point off view and intentions.

For instance I was passed on the road yesterday by a man in his car who was driving rather erratically. My first assumption was that he was a fool who bought his drivers license at Target , he was drunk, or just a rude person. I happened to arrive at the hospital parking lot where I was to work for the afternoon and saw him running from his car to the emergency room. Obviously he was either injured or was rushing to a loved one who was ill or injured. My first assumption was to be angry with him, but I really did not know his situation. Not taking time to pray helped to take me to anger.

What I should have done was this. I should have prayed. "Lord, that man is driving somewhat crazy. Please protect him and others. You know why he is doing this action. He is Your child and I come before you on his behalf. Father your will be done." Once I saw him running to the emergency department guilt hit me and I did pray on his behalf and whoever he was running to.  Like the rookie at the grill I over fired and went to a blowup.

Luke 6:31 - And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

This verse is the ultimate key to having patience with other people and avoiding an explosion and fire that just takes a contentment filled day and ruining it.

Last bit of advice. Take time to have a picnic with friends. Whether you eat peanut butter and jelly, bratwursts, burgers, cheese and crackers, it doesn't really matter, take time to enjoy the company of friends and celebrate your love for one another. We want to plan one soon, but are waiting until our good friend can walk right into our yard. She has been laid up with a serious injury for 6 months. I have the brats ready to celebrate her first steps which we hope is soon. And if you are short of friends send me your address and I will bring the potato salad and mustard.

God bless,
Marty
 

No comments:

Post a Comment