Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Falling Asleep In Church 6/17/2017

Good Morning,

Sleep hit me like a brick last night and it felt good to collapse in the arms of my chair. Waking up seemed more joyful today after some rest. My mug was just filled with Door County Coconut Crush Coffee and my lunch is packed. My quiet time is done and I am ready for today!

Acts 20:7-12 New King James Version (NKJV
On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight. There were many lamps in the upstairs room where we were meeting. Seated in a window was a young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. When he was sound asleep, he fell to the ground from the third story and was picked up dead. 10 Paul went down, threw himself on the young man and put his arms around him. “Don’t be alarmed,” he said. “He’s alive!” 11 Then he went upstairs again and broke bread and ate. After talking until daylight, he left. 12 The people took the young man home alive and were greatly comforted.

Every time I read this passage it reminds me of two things.

1. People in Paul's time did not look at their watch during church. They were consumed with hearing from a man of God, not the Packer game or the Sunday meal.

2. It also reminds me to acknowledge when I will be attending church and to properly rest and give it my all while there.

Obviously this passage had a great outcome. But I wonder if Eutychus ever fell asleep in church again? But then again at least he was there.

So it is Wednesday do you have your church attendance planned yet?

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment