Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Mining For Treasure 6/30/2015

Good Morning,

My new order of Door County Coffee will be arriving today hopefully. This latest shipment will carry me through until the fall flavors are available. Tomorrow I will open some Christmas Coffee to have a little Christmas in July. I might have to wear a stocking cap for effect.

My wife loves to slowly walk through antique shops examining every nook and cranny. She goes slowly to avoid missing some small treasure she has been searching for. I have always been drawn to abandoned  buildings or mines. I will only enter if I have permission or if they are found on public land. I once found an antique candle piece that the miners used on their headlamps. I wonder how many other people walked by that piece and did not see it or did not know what it was. For me it was a small piece of history and was a neat find for the day.

Psalm 119:11New International Version (NIV)
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.

15 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.
 
As I grow older I am now more appreciative of God's Word. I have read through the Bible numerous times, but I am always amazed as to how God works at opening that precious mine over and over again allowing me to find new treasures each time I take the time to go mining. Once He opens a new vein of richness in His mine and I am led to it, I can store it away in my heart's vault. Each day I can add to me treasures.

The key to keeping the vault expanding is to not become lazy. The other key is to open the vault from time to time and share your treasures. I think about the tombs of Kings found around the world layered with statues, linens, art, gold and silver, along with precious jewels. These were closed and many lost until re-discovered. They get displayed in museums but what good did they really ever accomplish.?

Proverbs 2 New International Version (NIV)

My son, if you accept my words
    and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
    and applying your heart to understanding
indeed, if you call out for insight
    and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
    and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the Lord
    and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom;

Stored wisdom is great to have. But when not applied or shared it is useless. It is given to be used and shared. It's like having great vaults of silver and gold just to have it, but never using it for the good of yourself or others. Gold and silver not used should just be left in the ground. It's just heavy metal unless used.

So, today open your Bible and go exploring. You'll never know what God has for you there unless you venture into the mine.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment