Friday, June 5, 2015

Riding A Bike 6/5/2015

Good Morning,

Friday came again. I hoped it would. I am hoping for a shorter day than yesterday. It looks to be a fun weekend with some mission trip prep work. So with my Door County Raspberry Crunch Coffee by my side I write and then head out the door.

Isaiah 46:4New International Version (NIV)
Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you

In an effort to streamline this old body my bicycle came out of the garage last night. And on a warm and humid summer night I kick started the engine (me) and it was off to tour the neighborhood. I was a little shaky at first and it reminded me of my first time riding a bike and my dad running next to me in case I was going to fall. Only this time my Dad was not running along to make sure I would not fall. Once I got going and made a few laps around the neighborhood I put my big boy pants on and took myself out on to the main road. I wasn't sure if I was sweating from the work out or from nerves wondering if I had made the right decision after not riding for a long time. I was determined to get up that hill and then fly down at high speed with the wind blowing in my face. I did it! Soon after, I was regaining my cycling skills and gained some confidence. It was like I had never stopped riding a bike.

Last year God had me sit out a summer from short term mission trips. To be honest, my health would not have supported it. But this summer I am back at it. This trip won't be too tough at all but it will be an adjustment to new people, eating and sleeping arrangements and some strenuous work. Who knows what will be needed spiritually? A week ago I began to have some doubts as to whether or not I could still do it. I was in prayer when I read Isaiah 46:4. I had been petitioning God, asking Him to strengthen me for the upcoming trip and preparations.  I knew then that I could make it. I was rusty but it would be just like riding a bike again, only my Dad would be there all the way.

Have a great day.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment