Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Respect Is Earned 6/27/2017

Good Morning!

This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. I am starting this day with a breakfast of peach slices, grapes and a big cup of Door County Cherry Crème Coffee. Let's get going.

I hear a lot of young people shouting out this statement. " I was disrespected. They disrespected me." So I want to say right from the start that this has nothing to do with bashing young people. I believe that all people regardless of age, race, gender, and beliefs, are to be respected as a person created by God in His image. But respect is to be earned, by practicing it yourself.



I asked my grandfather his thoughts on this subject when I was about twelve years old. His reply did not surprise me. He told me that I should respect my elders, parents and those in authority. I asked him when he thought that I should be respected and he laughed. His reply to that question is what I want to talk about today. Here is what he said. "You will get respect when you are known for respecting others. By respecting others you start to earn respect. Work hard at what you do and you will earn respect. Feed your family and teach them to respect others and you earn respect. Be honest and you earn respect. Don't look for a hand out or think that anyone owes you anything and you earn respect. Remember why you go to church and you earn respect. When you can be disrespected and walk away from a fight you earn respect. If you must fight, fight to win, you will earn respect. He said never look down on someone for what they don't have, and you earn respect."

That diatribe was a little more than I asked for and was delivered in a harsh manor. I never forgot that day on the lake fishing for bass and learning a life lesson. It wasn't until later in life that his statements really rang a bell in my noodle of a brain.

I see t young people as well as older folks demanding respect in ways that are disruptive, rude and in some cases illegal. That type of action often harms their respectability. How can you disrespect someone and then demand respect? God has something to say about this. It is called the "Law Of The Harvest" Sow disrespect and disrespect will return to you.

Galatians 6:7New International Version (NIV)
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

This is very simple to understand. Plant a bean and bean will sprout up. Practice planting the seed of respect from early on in life and you will be respected.

It doesn't get any easier to understand than that. Choose to practice respect for others today and start filling your personal bank with respect in return.

Marty

3 comments: