Tuesday, March 22, 2016

In It To Win It 3/22/2016

Good Morning,

The liquid decorating my cup is Door County Highlander Grog Coffee. Nothing like pleasing the palette with a morning cup of java.

Throughout my years of life I have been in a lot of competitions, from football, baseball, some basketball, trap shooting, bowling, volleyball, cribbage, Scrabble and a chili cook off or two. No matter what the competitive event was or is, I always plan on going and giving it my best effort to win. No one likes coming in second. The times when I have lost and there have been many, when I find myself upset for losing, were the times when I did not give it my best effort. I gave a second best effort and did not achieve the prize. I was there. I showed up. But I was not in it to win it.

The Apostle Paul tells us that we are saved through the love and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. But why did he write that we need to run the race in order to receive the prize?

Philippians 3:14New King James Version (NKJV)
14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

One of the saddest things about any race is that it is possible to persevere through all of the training, exert all of the energy to run the entire course, only to be disqualified because of an infringement of the rules.
There are rules that must be followed in any race or else the race is forfeit.  The spiritual race that we run is no exception.
 
What are the rules of the race?  They are the commands that God has given to us.  They are His instructions found in His Word.  The temptation is always present to run in a haphazard direction, taking “short-cuts” and ignoring the rules.  But to do so involves disaster.  To do so will result in disqualification.
 
I have known a number of Christians who have been disqualified from the race.  They had spiritual gifts.  They sometimes even built up great ministries.  They seemed to have an exciting relationship with God.  Then sin crept in.  Sin is always a disqualifier.
 
How about you?  Are you running the race?  Are you doing so with motivated efficiency as you lead a disciplined life?  There is still a warning.  It is that it is possible for one to run the entire race and even come across the finished line, only to find that you have been disqualified because you did not run according to the rules.
 
Remember that these principles are given in the context of the issue of the weaker brother.  The question was whether Christians would see fit to limit their own liberty in order to build up the body of Christ.  Building up the body of Christ involves us loving our neighbor. This is running the race. That we might be used to lead others to Christ. That is the prize.
 
Self control
Motivation
Efficiency
Approaching ministry in accordance with God’s principles -- “playing by the rules
 
Food For Thought!
 
Marty
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment