Sunday, May 31, 2015

Assumptions. You Know What They Say!

Good Morning,

This one is running way behind and I believe it is for a good reason. This story had to be completed before written. My Door County Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti Coffee went really well with my bowl of dried Honey Crisp Apples and bananas. That was quite a treat this morning.

 2 Timothy 2:15   
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

This story started yesterday. I just had to wake up early today and find out how it ended. On Saturday it was cold and rainy. I decided to dust off my membership card to the local fitness gym and go for a work out. I thought that it was a nice enough place to have a heart attack. So I found my work out clothes and shoes and went to the place for some pain and torture before I collapsed from not being in shape. My good friend Steve always says as long as round is considered a shape. "We are in good shape".

It was only a minute or two that I had been on the tread mill, surprisingly I wasn't experiencing chest pains yet, when this younger lady in her matching outfit and shoes came bounding up on to the tread mill next to me. Sweat had begun to pour out of me like a drippy faucet on steroids. As she reached a speed on her tread mill that I am sure was going to set a world record for the mile she turned to me to engage in conversation. "Do you come here often" she asked? Now what went through my head was not nice. My thoughts were (which I kept to myself) "she must be blind, or the dumbest person on two legs in tight pants). I replied through my gasps for air "oh once in awhile, not enough obviously". She then advised that I try a lower speed and go a little slower. I excused myself wished her a good day and went to a weight lifting bench to nap.

I talked about my experience in church last night and we all chuckled about it. One lady did say however that it could be that the young lady was hitting on me. We all laughed about that one and concluded that the girl was probably without sight and we should pray for her.

Well Rene enjoyed that laugh at my expense. "Maybe you should not have worn the sweat pants with the holes in them. You might have been leading this young lady on. Maybe I should go with you to work out. Seems like you must have a girlfriend there." Oh how she laughed on that one.

So I decided that working out two days in a row might create a good habit. Off I went at the crack of dawn, not expecting to meet anyone at that time of the morning. I did not wear my sexy Browning Camouflage sweat pants. I wore the ones that had paint dripped on them. I did not want to tempt any young ladies.

No sooner than two minutes into my early morning dodge with a heart attack on the tread mill, guess who popped up on to the tread mill next to me? It was the perky little lady once more. " You do come here often" was her greeting. "Good morning, do you ever smile"? My thoughts again went straight to King David and his experience with Bathsheba. "Fight her off boy set her straight said the little angel on my shoulder." " I saw you drive in today." Now I had a stalker on my hands!!!!! Soon she was running at high speed and I was planning my exit strategy. Fake chest pains and leave? That wouldn't be lying because the chest stress could be real. "Oh Lord what to do? Don't fail me now"!!!  She then politely said "Can I tell you about a decision I made a couple years ago?" I replied between gasps for air "sure". I was planning on showing her my wedding ring on advice from the women at church last night. But I decided to let her speak. "I made a choice to follow Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I was wondering if you have ever thought about that and where you would spend eternity when you die?"

I hit the stop button on the tread mill and started to laugh. She looked hurt and I quickly explained that I had made that decision in 1981and could assure her of my spot in heaven. I then assumed that she went to exercise gyms looking for people most likely to collapse on the floor so she could witness about eternal life in Christ to them before they died on the tread mill. We both laughed, prayed together and I went away after thanking her for taking time to care about my soul. It was refreshing to see how she turned her work out routine into a mission field for Jesus. I left with my ego bruised but my heart was renewed. I guess I can wear my Browning sweat pants and sleeveless shirt again.

Have a great day. Now you know the rest of the story.

God Bless,

Marty

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that great soul-winning story. Praise God for faithful brothers and sisters serving Him and sharing the love of Christ with a 'neighbor' - even on a treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. It was quite amusing. Have a blessed day.

      Delete