Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pastors Get Tired Too 4/23/14

Good Morning,

I am headed off to work and my cup is filled with Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee. I really enjoy my coffee and listening to sermons while I drive. I have a few favorite radio preachers that I like to listen to as I prepare to meet the day.

Last night I had some ministry that needed attention at church. When I left it was late. I looked over at our Senior Pastor's office and his light was still on. As I went out to the parking lot I saw his car and the car of two others. This told me without looking in that he was counseling with a family late into the night. We are blessed to have three full time pastors. Two of them work long hours meeting with families or couples to mentor and counsel. Our third pastor works with the teens and the music. If we took their salaries and divided it by the hours they put in they would be working for three dollars an hour. They are dedicated men who have been called to shepherd the flock. Why do they put in long hours and then balance time with their families, respond to emergencies, prepare week after week sermons to be preached, and for a lot less than a fortune?

Here is why.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9

New King James Version (NKJV)
“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one![a] You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. ( They love the Lord)
“And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, ( We are family to them) and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. (They trust in God's Word)

I see them very often and I do have a good enough relationship to be able to say "hey you look terrible, are you taking care of yourself"? They usually laugh and reply "praise God I was I able to help someone today".

So if you ever wondered if God loves you, the answer can be seen in the eyes of a tired pastor. God sent an Earthly shepherd to care for you as part of their flock. Some people might even say "the pastor doesn't seem to have time for me". Well, be thankful you don't need him right now, but know that if you did they would be there.

When I look into tired eyes called to ministry I see Jesus and His love for me.

God bless your day.
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment