Saturday, April 19, 2014

I Guess I am not Normal 4/19/2014

Good Morning,

Saturday and I feel a little lazy today. My coffee is Door County Mocha Mint. I am still in the middle of a battle with my health and I think my body made me rest a little longer than usual today. But I am up and at it now.

I have mentioned in earlier posts that this year began with me taking on a new job within the health care organization that I work for. I can say that it has been a good change and I am enjoying it. The people I work with are somewhat new to me and some I have known for awhile. I started my career in this hospital 30 years ago. I have returned now and there are new faces. I do have people who directly report to me as their manager. I have always had an open door policy. I never expected the visit I received yesterday while in my office.

One of the caregivers assigned to me walked in and said something that just floored me. " I noticed something about you. You are not normal. You don't swear at us, you just don't swear." I have been called a lot of things but this one took the cake. I explained that language in the work place should be professional and friendly at all times even during times of disagreement. He replied " but I have been watching you and you have been frustrated when we swear."  I then went on to explain that my expectations are that they also should be professional at all times even among their peers.

I told him that I choose not to swear and that when I do it bothers me because God expects more from me.

Friends I was speechless. I did not know how to respond to the fact that this is what he noticed and felt he needed to comment. What bothers me the most is the fact that people expect to swear and be sworn at. I think this lifestyle has become the norm. This is a sad day. It is twenty four hours later and this still bothers me. I don't want to be "normal". I can honestly say that today I am depressed over the "normal". This is something I try hard not to do. And no I am not perfect at being not normal.

I went to God's word in the Bible to help with this feeling of being depressed. I know that I am on the right track. And when I say that I am depressed it is because of the state of normal. I am not sure that being "not normal" will impact a change. But it is being watched. Now I really have to be on my toes.

This is what normal should be.

 Colossians 3:8        

But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. 

Ephesians 4:29        

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.             

Matthew 15:10-11         

And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”

James 3:10        

From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

I am not sure that I will see true normal until I reach heaven.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment