Saturday, April 12, 2014

Lyme Disease and The Christian

Good Morning,

Two Things to talk about first. 1. My coffee this morning is Door County Chocolate Raspberry Truffle. 2. This is the first time it has been warm enough to sit on my patio and write, while enjoying my coffee. 51 degrees in Oak Creek today. 

I heard some bad news yesterday that explained a few things going on with my body lately. It seems that this old hunter has Lyme Disease. It wasn't exactly the worst news one could hear but it did set me back a little. I suspected something like that anyway. Fortunately there is a treatment that my doctor is right on top of and I will start it immediately.

But that wasn't my first thought. Right after I heard the news I prayed for God's protection and His will to be done. My follow through will be Biblical. My next step is to do exactly what the Bible says to do. And that will be tonight. Let's see what the Bible has to say about directions for the sick.

James 5:13:18

Meeting Specific Needs

13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses[e] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.

This is the plan for tonight. I will follow the doctors orders but that alone is not enough. There will be prayer from my fellow elders. I find it amazing that God gives us directions for everything. I will also use this time of illness to be a kind witness to those caring for me. God has allowed me to be in a season of need. Like Joseph I will be a prisoner to this illness for whatever God allows. But during that time I hope to make the best of it. For all my fellow outdoors men and friends. I have attached below an article on the symptoms of the disease. The sooner it is detected the better the outcomes.
God bless,
Marty

Symptoms of Lyme disease start one to two weeks after the tick bite. One of the earliest signs is a “bull’s eye” rash. This is a sign that bacteria are multiplying in the blood stream. The rash occurs at the site of the tick bite as a central red spot surrounded by a clear spot with an area of redness at the edge. It may be warm to touch, but isn’t painful and doesn’t itch.
This rash will disappear after four weeks. The formal name for this rash is erythema migraines. Erythema migraines is said to be characteristic of Lyme disease. However, many people don’t have this symptom. Some people have a rash that is solid red. On people with dark complexions, the rash may resemble a bruise.

Stage 2: Early Disseminated Lyme Disease

Early disseminated Lyme disease occurs several weeks after the tick bite. Bacteria are beginning to spread throughout the body. This stage is characterized by flu-like symptoms, such as:
  • chills
  • fever
  • enlarged lymph nodes
  • sore throat
  • vision changes
  • fatigue
  • muscle aches
  • headaches
There is a general feeling of not being well in stage 2. A rash may appear in areas other than the tick bite. Neurological signs such as numbness, tingling, and Bell’s palsy can also occur. This stage of Lyme disease can be complicated by meningitis and cardiac conduction disturbances. The symptoms of stages 1 and 2 can overlap.

Stage 3: Late Disseminated Lyme Disease

Late disseminated Lyme disease occurs when the infection hasn’t been treated in stage 1 and 2. Stage 3 can occur weeks, months or years after the tick bite. This stage is characterized by:
  • severe headaches
  • arthritis of one or more large joints
  • disturbances in heart rhythm
  • brain disorders (encephalopathy) involving memory, mood and sleep.
  • short term memory loss
  • difficulty concentrating
  • mental fogginess
  • problems following conversations
  • numbness in the arms, legs, hands, or feet
Contact your doctor immediately if you have any of these symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment