Saturday, April 5, 2014

"Just Don't Bore Me" 4/5/14

Good Morning,

Saturday morning and it will be a busy day with some chores to be performed. My cup is filled with Door County German Chocolate Cake Coffee.


There is a line from the Clint Eastwood movie that goes like this.  "You can rob me, you can starve me, and you can beat me, and you can kill me, just don't bore me." I love that line.
I liken that to my Christian attitude sometimes. In a leadership role within the church I  meet many people looking to learn together, pray together, serve together, and experience God together. I really enjoy all of those encounters. To be with people who truly want to do any of those things is exciting beyond belief.

But what I don't like are those who want prayer but won't pray seriously, want life changes but won't listen, want to be a godly person but won't do anything to grow or better yet those who want to complain about different ministries yet are not involved. I was taught to be kind and listen anyway, but within an encounter or two I find that listening to these people bores me. They really don't want to change, they really don't want to grow and they think prayer is a good luck charm. They give you all the right answers, "I need to pray more, I need to read my Bible more, can you meet with me more, I want to go to every prayer service, (these are one hit wonders) or better yet, let me know when you are doing that again I want to be there."

These poor souls limit God as to what He can do. They really don't expect God to meet with them speak to them, or direct them. They are actually Christian robots just going through the motions, never experiencing the power of a resurrected life and seeing God at work. They are bored, looking for an emotional high, not increased faith.


Isaiah 61:1-3

 

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion— to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.


 
 
Folks I am nothing special and believe me when I say that I do pray for those who won't engage in  a Spirit filled walk, and my walk is far from what I want it to be. I hope and pray that I can write next year and say that my walk has grown in love and service to God. That is my goal. Any less and I would bore myself. Think about it. God has so much, that He desires to do through you and with you. It just takes a sincere yes and obedience, and you will live a life that is never boring!
 
 
God bless,
 

Marty
 

No comments:

Post a Comment