Saturday, May 7, 2022

He Carried Me And I Carried Him 5/7/2022

 Good Morning,

It is a good morning to be alive and kicking. I  just poured a hot cup of door County Irish Cream Coffee and now it is time to write.

Galatians 6:2 Carry each other's burdens. In this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 

I promised yesterday that I had one more roller coaster story in me. I have been reluctant to share this one.  I recall one summer when I was probably in the second grade. My grandparents were visiting and my aunt and her family as well as my folks and my sister were treated to a day at the amusement park. This park had many rides to go on, But on the east end of the park was an old wooden type beach rollercoaster. Back then, if your parents said you could go on a ride you went. No one measured you to see if you were tall enough. This coaster was a monster for it's time. I had avoided the chiding to go on that stupid coaster all day. But then toward the evening I finally gave in and surrendered to the constant barrage of "It's not scary, You will love it." My Aunt and two cousins were riding me kind of hard so off I went. I was afraid as afraid could be. In fact I was terrified. Of course we had to ride in the front car, because that was "more fun". My grandpa said to me just before I got in line "hang on. It only lasts three minutes" 

Three minutes felt like three hours and on the first drop that seemed to be from Mount Everest my bladder let loose and I wet my pants.  Rest assured, I have overcome my fears of heights and speed. 

I was so embarrassed, and did not know how I could hide wet pants. As we exited the ride and were walking out to those waiting for us, grandpa walked toward me and spilled his 7up all over me and especially my pants area. He faked that he had tripped. He apologized profusely for his mistake. He leaned over and said in my ear. "I carried you today". He had saved me from embarrassment and shame. He never once kidded me about that moment or said anything to anyone.

Many years later I stood on the steps of a church and grabbed hold of a cold metal rail, I lifted with 5 other men and we carried a coffin to a waiting hearse. As I walked and carried, I whispered, "I carried you".

I could not help but recall the day Grandpa carried me. Today's lesson, never turn down the chance to carry someone and keep it quiet. Your action just might save a person from embarrassment and shame,

God bless,

Marty

 

No comments:

Post a Comment