Saturday, February 5, 2022

February The Love Month 2/6/2022

 Good Morning,

I woke up this morning and I am grateful to be awake and on my feet. I have a goal ahead of me today and it's going to get accomplished. 

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. 

Yesterday, I attended a conference for men with a friend of mine. I don't get to spend a lot of time with him and yesterday started with breakfast and then the conference. We took in some study modules and attended all that they had to offer. It was a great day and we both walked away better men for having been there. We both took notes and I had a few that I emailed to myself. 




In February we celebrate or observe Valentines Day. I call February the month of love as couples wedded or still single schmooze each other with gifts and affection. I for one will be purchasing some sugar free chocolates from a confectionary that has just what the Mrs. likes.

Now the "Month of Love" still has 27 other days in it and Valentines day is just one day. Although some folks like to observe it for three days if possible. I am the one and done day kind of guy. The other 27 days can be normal days, great days or bad days. One thought that stood out from the conference, was this. "Choose Your Battles". Those of us who are married or will soon be married know that One Day in February can be shot down in a heart beat by turmoil on any of the other 27 days. 

It is no secret that husbands and wives don't always see eye to eye on a lot of things. But some things just don't warrant any attention at all and certainly are not battle worthy. Choose your battles wisely. When I say battles now I am not talking shouting matches, knock down drag out fights, or name calling. But we all know that on certain subjects it is not really worthy of entering the arena of disagreement. For instance, while traveling and if we need to stop for lunch or fuel I will always ask, "where do you want to eat or where would you feel best about fuel or a restroom.?" The reply is 99%  of the time "I don't care". I will ask again giving a suggestion and I will receive a different answer much to the contrary of I don't care. I will hear a "oh not that place" . This usually goes on for at least two places to eat or pee.

I don't mind saying that this hasn't changed in 1001 years. When we were first married I would pull over after place # two and pee by the side of the road out in the woods and then come back and say that I am not hungry. "let me know if you see something of interest at the next exit." Wow that used to make for some awful quiet traveling! Being older now and wanting to enjoy my travel more I have just learned to choose my battles and the inability to just say where you would like to eat instead of treating it like a game show where the guest driver has to guess until rising blood pressure gives him a stroke is not worthy of a dig in and die in the trench type of battle. 

I believe two Christian people can and should have a marriage that is a battle free zone and the couple should operate in synch with God always and strive for putting each other first. I will dig in on a couple of subjects and not budge. My wife knows what they are and she respects the fact that no matter what, I am not budging at all. So there has been not one battle over those two subjects, although I believe she doesn't agree with me 100%. 

You see my friends, one battle can ruin a month or worse cause a marriage to tilt a little. No need to battle, but if you decide that a stand must be taken, choose that battle wisely and see if it is even worth bringing up. If it isn't truly harmful, is it worth a battle anyway? Swallow your pride and back away. Some things just aren't worth fighting about. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment